Existing Member?

me.mylife

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 23 March 2012 | Views [232] | Scholarship Entry

I had been travel to another city in my country,Indonesia.Different islands, different cultures, different customs and different foods, of course. I went to Java Island,East-Java city, called Surabaya.
Surabaya is the most attractive city for me because of its culture. I've never forget about my 1st experience about taste the local food in there. There was "Rujak Cingur" the most famous local food in Surabaya and I was curious to taste it, at that time. Actually it was great taste, and from the seller I heard the story about "Rujak Cingur". Rujak Cingur usually consists of several types of sliced ??fruits such as cucumber, Krai (a type of cucumber typical East Java), bengkoang, young mango, pineapple, kedondong and rice cake, tofu, tempe, and cingur bendoyo and also vegetables such as sprouts / bean sprouts , spinach and beans. All the material was mixed with a sauce or condiment made ??from processed shrimp paste, boiled water for a bit thin, sugar / brown sugar, chili, fried peanuts, fried onions, salt and thinly sliced ??green banana seeds are still young (banana klutuk). All the sauce or seasoning mixed with "uleg" way, that's why salad is also often called salad cingur pestle. That makes me shocked was apparently "Rujak Cingur" made ??of sliced ??cow's mouth! Can you imagine that? Really shocked me..
Although I know the story of making "Rujak Cingur", i've never been felt sorry for that.
Truthfully, i knew that most people who lived in Surabaya likes to eat animal's organ such as "Bothok Tawon", "Keripik Eel", "Keripik chicken's feet" , "Keripik cow's skin". Incredible,right?

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About blahblahblah


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.