Existing Member?

Wanderlust Going forth into the big, wide world and setting it on fire.

Chiang Mai - Possible New Home #1

THAILAND | Friday, 9 July 2010 | Views [314]

So back to Chiang Mai....This time I stayed in the Old City, which is inside Thae Pae Gate. I met up with Dave, the salty old expat that I met in Mae Salong and he gave me the dime tour of Chiang Mai. He also helped me look for apartments and what not, which was super cool. I also met up with my cousin's friend, Danny, who gave me the skinny on the TEFL course he took as well as the "in" places to go. Aside from that, I didn't do a whole lot in Chiang Mai, at least, not a lot of touristy stuff. I did go to Doi Suitep, which is a temple at the top of a mountain. It was under construction, like all the other temples in Thailand. Aside from that, I hung out with Jacqui, a British girl I met at the Imm Eco hotel. Her and I just bummed around, ate at the yellow tables and went shopping at the night bazaar. Oh, so get this...on one of the nights we were there I happened to ask a vendor how much a bag cost, she straight up looked me up and down and then in a nasty tone told me to go to the walking market to shop! She thought I was a local and a broke ass or something. OMG! I don't remember the last time someone was so rude or that I was discriminated against. She ended up giving me the price once she realized I wasn't a local. But I told her she was extremely rude and that she just lost a potential sale. Jacqui and I could not believe it. People are amazing.... At least I took care of what I needed to do...I'm pretty sure I'm going to do the TEFL course in Oct. Also, found a great little apartment for a few hundred a month. Only thing left to do is learn how to ride a scooter. Eek! But for now, off to Bangkok via the overnight train. Woo Hoo! I love riding trains.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.