Existing Member?

Grove on tour- last man standing

Chapter 3: Surfcamp

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 17 March 2007 | Views [479] | Comments [1]

Safe to say Ocean: 2

Ben: 1

My body feels battered and broken! Despite that I was standing on unbroken waves on my second day (photo evidence included) and feel pretty chuffed. Im covered in scrapes cuts and grazes but am really looking forward to getting my own board and leading a semi settled life surfing and working here in Byron.

The surf camp was ACE! Great fun and such a good way to learn to surf. We were surfing for probably 20hours over the week on different beaches every day and in different conditions. The theory that backs up all the practice is incredibly helpful and things like ocean knowledge are such good preparation for surfing on your own. Its also really good value, £200 for 5nights food and accommodation, equipment hire and all tuition. The scenery and beaches are stunning and almost worth the money on their own! Our illustrious leader was a cross between Russel Brand and Jesus and possibly the coolest person I’ve ever met. When I die I hope to be reincarnated as Tim.

Outside of the surfing there was plenty of fun, banter and no small amount of alcohol consumption. One night in particular included nudity (both in the pool and on the dance floor), funnels, some horrendous dancing (thanks to Jake for encouraging an amateur breakdancing competition) and a total of 172litres of beer consumed between 35 weapons (although I should probably apologise for spilling most of that all over Terri and Jodie). Binge drinking is alive and well!!! We also had one night under canvas in Yuraygir national park where the weather conspired to make us Brits feel as much at home as possible. We braved the thunder, lightning and lashing rain for about 3 hours before the storm suddenly passed, and the 20 or so of us who had not given up and passed out on the coach got a fire started and roasted marshmallows while finishing the last of our goon. Proper camping!

I am now in Byron and have spent the last two days handing my resume to everywhere with a kitchen in town. Got a really positive response from most places (unlike the soul destroying process of job searching in the UK) and everyone was really friendly and constructive! Fingers crossed cos this place is PERFECT!!! Fortunately BenO put me in touch with two friends of his here and Im staying on their sofa in exchange for cooking and cleaning duties!

More on Byron soon,

Gaybar.

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

Hey,

fun games, sand sun. dreams drift along, oceans roll ever in.

If you get bored there is almost definitely a job here for you. sorry to bring back unpleasant thoughts.

peace mark.

p.s. off to lao for easter, if you get bored i blog on my space, search by e-mail address.

  Mark Mar 23, 2007 5:55 AM

About bjw_uk


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.