Existing Member?

Feisty Adventures! Here's to a life of exploration!

First Black Eye!

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 19 June 2007 | Views [7090] | Comments [6]

Bonita

Bonita

In one week I will be returning to Canada, and so I think it is fitting that yesterday I was baptized here in Brazil with my first, pretty black eye as a goodbye gift. 

The training has been difficult, to say the least, and yesterday was my hardest day yet.  After practicing Robert´s technique for the day -- a half-guard manoevre to take the back, with defense and complicated take-down included, we began roughly 2 hours of sparring.  The mats were packed; this weekend there is a competition in neighbouring Jundiai, and many students from that city have been out to train with us. 

My first match was with Zoio.  He is an excellent opponent for me -- very technical and pushes me decently hard.  His legs are huge, like Rowan´s, so I feel right at home!  Next up, the young, agile black belt, Juninho.  I have never been choked out so many times, or so hard, in one match before.  After much rest, I sparred with a purple belt who was pushing me pretty hard, then accidentally kicked me in the head.  He apologized profusely in Portuguese, and I tried my best to assure him I was fine.  Then, he let me take his back, which infuriated me.  The dynamics between men and women on the mats have yet to be ironed out, though I find I receive more equal treatment in Canada.  I love my good-old Dave Keddy who will kick me in the head and then treat me like any other guy and promptly tie me in an omoplata!

Last week, a student from England arrived.  His name is Kai and is a very good bjj athlete.  He has only been training 2 years, but he is fast and natural at the sport.  He has shown me some details already, and I will hopefully get to spar with him soon.

Tonight, I am training with Michelle and Robert´s trainer, Lineu.  For the past 2 months, he has been showing me weight exercises specifically for bjj.  I am thankful to him for helping me strengthen my back and improve my cardio.  Between sets of weight lifts, he has me skipping, which is completely gruelling.  I love it.  Furthermore, I´ve got a serious crush on the man, which always helps me get through the routine. 

Today, I am resting.  I don´t know how Michelle and Robert train the way they do -- most days with Lineu´s workouts included.  Genetics and age play a huge role, I am supposing.  I am definitely feeling my 30 years and mild asthma.  I keep thinking of my heroes, Randy Couture and Rebecca Sweeney.  They push me to continue in this crazy sport.   

Tags: Adrenaline

Comments

1

Sorry you got a blackeye!!! It looks good!

Sandra

  Sandra Jun 20, 2007 4:18 AM

2

Nice shiner Babs!

  Mark Jun 20, 2007 11:52 AM

3

Hey Babs that black eye looks great,sounds like your getting some really good training can't wait to have you back so I can continue the abuse!!LOL

  Dave Keddy Jun 21, 2007 4:33 AM

4

Go, Babs!!! That's like the one you gave me at work that time.....you brute!!!!

  Wendell Jun 21, 2007 11:30 PM

5

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I am quite proud of my war wound! I´ve been getting some weird looks around town, though. Can´t wait to see you all again and to be back on the mats at Abhaya.

  bjjgirl Jun 26, 2007 10:38 AM

6

That black eye looks awesome! I always wear a black eye as part of my outfits... Especially during competition training!

  Rome Za Apr 2, 2010 1:56 AM

About bjjgirl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.