Existing Member?

Feisty Adventures! Here's to a life of exploration!

Rio de Janeiro (Part Two)

BRAZIL | Wednesday, 30 May 2007 | Views [2236]

(31) Sigh.  Me and Ricardo Vieira.  Besides being beautiful, he was willing to sit and talk with me in English about Jiu Jitsu.

(31) Sigh. Me and Ricardo Vieira. Besides being beautiful, he was willing to sit and talk with me in English about Jiu Jitsu.

We arrived at the gymnasium just in time for Mauricio `Zoio´ and Christian to warm up and weigh in.  Unfortunately, just before his first fight, Christian was told there was a problem with his registration and that he would be unable to fight in the competition.  Obviously disappointed, he changed back into his street clothes and watched from the sidelines.  I felt extremely down for him, especially after watching him spar in class and the long, desperate drive through the night. 

Zoio began his first fight with an impressive attempt at a choke from the back.  Robert coached him throughout the fight, and he went on to win second place in the Masters division at his weight.  We were all very happy and proud of him.

Between fights I scanned the huge gym for familiar faces.  Mike Fowler and Fabio Gurgel were at the sidelines, as were Comprido and Tarsis Humphreys.  Then, not ten feet away from me, I noticed Leo Vieira making his way through the crowd.  He has been a hero of mine since before I started training Jiu Jitsu myself, when Patrick and I would watch him on grainy footage spinning, cartwheeling and rolling his way out of opponents´ grips.  Since I put on the gi, he has been a role model and shown me how to use agility and speed as a small fighter.  Later in the day, Michelle introduced us -- Leo is one of Robert`s instructors and training partners.  He was shy and very kind.  It made my day to speak with him again on Sunday, when I got to give him a kiss on the cheek.

The Black Belt divisions began on Sunday.  After a long night´s sleep and a hearty oatmeal breakfast, Christian sped us off to the gym once more for Michelle and Juninho to weigh in.  I was excited to watch Michelle compete for the first time.  She submitted her first opponent quickly with an armbar and looked focused for her second match.  Her opponent gave her a very tough fight.  Michelle attempted a guillotine, then swept and defended a very tight cross-choke which I didn´t think she would escape.  Then, Michelle sunk a fast knee-bar -- her classic move which I have yet to avoid or escape in class.  I believed her opponent was finished, but she managed to free her leg somehow.  I swear her knee must still be aching.  Exhausted, Michelle landed in guard and we all knew something was wrong.  Her opponent passed the guard easily to knee-on-belly, at which point Michelle stopped the fight.  The referee lifted her legs for the blood to return to her head.  She is not sure what happened, but says all of a sudden she couldn´t breathe.  Whether it was the long drive shortly before the competition, moving up a weight category or even the 10 minute-long match required of Black Belts, Michelle told me with a smile that she will listen to her trainer and start running more.

Our second Black Belt teammate, Juninho, began his fights at roughly the same time Michelle began hers.  I was moving my camera from mat to mat, hoping to catch both fighters in action.  Juninho is a very young, very agile black belt, who swept through his division quickly and decisively.  He was stopped in the final match by a methodic opponent who didn´t give him any space to move.  He won second place overall.  Not bad, especially after having to cut weight to compete.  I had watched him train the week before dressed in garbage bags under his gi.  Before his first fight, he was still warming up in a parka.

We stayed until the evening to watch the finals of many divisions, including the favourite Absolute division, in which Henrique Cavaça, a Brasa fighter, competed with the huge, Big Mac.  I have never been in a crowd of spectators like the one for their match before.  Everyone was chanting and shouting, exhuberant.  I shouted with the crowd, who could also be completely silent at times when the fighters were vying for grips.  It was a chess game, with the only points being scored off a guard pass by Mac. 

One of my fondest memories was meeting Ricardo Vieira late on Sunday.  Michelle was eager to introduce him to me, and wasn´t sure if he had gone home already.  Then, she noticed him in the stands and grabbed my hand.  I was nervous because I am not sure how much these fighters enjoy speaking to strange people every time they attend an event.  However, he was relaxed and friendly and sat down with me to talk about training.

On the way back to Itu that night, we were happy and singing to Bob Marley.  I can`t think of a better weekend.  Even the McDonalds tasted good in my belly. 

Tags: On the Road

About bjjgirl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.