Existing Member?

anatolia sunset

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [137] | Scholarship Entry

I was craving to run away from urban mess,and travel away my thoughts to the island of aeolian winds,ancient poets and philosophers,to the island of Lesvos Greece.
I chose the hard way to get there...by the sea with a ship named after the painter Theofilos...the trip was promising already acquaintance with the former intelligentsia,spirituality and philosophy.
Through the valleys of Lesvos I instictively direct my self to salty H2O..A beach of 4 klm unfolds before my very own eyes.On my left there is a rocky hill with a castle on it..
Ancient poet Sapho is said to have lived here..The myth is that she dives every night from the hill to the sea and turns into a mermaid.Locals say that she is trapped in an eternal curse and she does that every night.You can still see her fish body in moonlighting nights shimmering into the sea,if you pay attention.
I continue my way to the main road and find a statue of a Greek soldier.His glance is at the sea at the certain point where he and his fleet have known glorious days...
I cannot leave the island without going to the petrified forest at the west side .The silence and the sun at this peculiar forest are disarming.It was formed from the fossilised remains of plants of the island more than 2.500 years ago.
Having uploaded all these images to my stick memory and brain as well,I return to terra urbanica...

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About bipolartraveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.