Existing Member?

Brush with Divinity

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [153] | Scholarship Entry

Journey to an unknown culture
Many places may please the senses but rare, truly rare are those places that behold the soul. The soul seeks ‘ALL’....quite lot more than tangible. Our soul absorbs when its quest for the unknown is fielded by the intangible.
I came across Harike Nanaksar Gurudwara, 55 kms downsouth of the Sikh holy city of Amritsar purely by destiny. An unscheduled stopover at the Harike Barrage lured me across the bridge of the Harike dam to this absolutely unanticipated island world with a godly aura.
As I crossed the bridge over the dam I saw the colourful sloshy beds of flowers, the white domed shrine elegantly posing against the limpid blue of the waters of Sutlej-Beas confluence. I walked under a spell ...simply absorbing the view! My senses dulled out to the sounds of the outer world. This place has an aura that defines purity!
A volunteer’s call gently rustled me out of my ‘walking reverie’ by telling me to take off my shoes before I ventured any further. I took off my shoes, washed hands and moved towards the entrance hall. A hall open on all sides, constructed with many pillars and a small prayer room at a level tad higher. This room is wherefrom the holy hum-chanting from Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji permeates the whole place.
Conspicuous by their flowing robes and flowing beards the Amritdhari Sikh volunteers of Harike Gurudwara are amiable but strict disciplinarians. I was led to the caretaker. A very cheerful witty disciplinarian who makes all activities of the shrine go by the clock. A large glass of ‘lassi’ i.e. sweetened curd drink introduced me to the warmth of their ‘food-hospitality’ . The caretaker introduced me to the history of the Nanaksar institution. This gurudwara which was built in the memory of Baba Ishar Singh Ji in 1963 on the occasion of immersion of his body in the confluence waters. Of particular mention is a boon to this place; that is the boon of cooked food being made available by villagers for all people, even the unexpected visitors, however many, every day. Not even for a day has ever, cooking taken place in the premises. And this has been going on for about eight decades here. On impulse I enquired about rooms for an over-night stay and was told that it was not their norm to allow strangers to stay overnight. But something in me must have appealed to the caretaker that he allowed me stay over till next morning.
The mornings of Ishardham Nanaksar are unquestionably divine. The daybreak is chimed in by the spirited chirp of the birds and the calls of the peacocks taking long flights between seasam trees, along with the holy recitation. I sat on a small wooden ramp on the banks to view the ball of the sun warm in the orange hue, languidly rising from the clear blue of the lake waters. I felt totally in commune with nature and it’s soul!

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About bina_kapoor


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.