Existing Member?

Let's read adventure as a book

My new old historical land

KAZAKHSTAN | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [149] | Scholarship Entry

What could be more exciting and challenging, interesting and stressful emotionally and, especially, culturally, when you, a human of Kazakh nationality, who was born and raised up in the Slavic country, speak the Slavic language, come to your historical homeland, the land of your ancestors to Kazakhstan! No fanfares, please. To say that you are shocked is to say nothing. I came to Kazakhstan in the age of 21, old and clever enough to understand some differences. At that moment I strongly believed that I will be like other Kazakhs in Kazakhstan, because I am Kazakh! Well, Zhanna was completely mistaken. During my first visit I was staring absolutely at everybody and everything, like people stare at the monkeys in the zoo. I thought that people would look and be the same like me! In general, they did, but were different. Very different. On the one hand, you feel yourself as a part of them, on the other - you know that you differ. A lot. Many things surprised me: the Kazakh language, which is supposed to be your native, and you are supposed to speak it – because you are Kazakh. Of course I did not speak it, because all my previous life I live in another country. This meaningful fact did not matter for the locals –if you are Kazakh, you have to. Many things amused: one of this is the skill to serve the tea! Every good and prospective wife has to know how to pour tea out, its proportions and turn, depends on how many guests are sitting at the table with you, their social and relative status. Except preparing good tea - you have to wear long hair as well - if you want to be attractive in this country, more that ninety percent of females do it because males like it. Yeah, beauty has it price. The most challenging was to overcome with local mentality. Kazakhs are obsessed on spending a lot of money to show off – big cars, houses, fur coats and iPhones. But the most amazing about them is their hospitality – to treat every guest with respect; true love, when a marriage is made once and forever, and a family unity, where everybody is responsible for each other. At this moment I am proud to say that I am Kazakh, because this nation is as unique and interesting as any other nation in the world. You want to ask me if I have become a true Kazakh girl? At least I can welcome you in Kazakh, wear enough long hair and every day practice my tea serving skills. I have not expected that it will be such an unforgettable adventure to explore my new old historical homeland.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About bigworldinsomewords


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kazakhstan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.