Existing Member?

Time for Adventures

Seeing the miracles

GREECE | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [248] | Scholarship Entry

Nowadays the world has shrunk to the monitor screen size. Open Google Maps, click on any city, on any street - and "walk" on it, seeing the panorama. Watch photos of the museum exhibits, go to a restaurant and try any of the national cuisine. It seems that only the exquisite things can surprise you, only places that have not been discovered yet.
The first time when I saw the miracle was in Greece. Greece is the most common place for travelers from my hometown. Even my grandmother who is seventy was there twice. But the miracle was waiting me. Zakynthos Island is famous for its turtles Caretta caretta. The sea giants annually sail to sandy beaches to lay their eggs there. You can go to excursion to see turtles. Also plush, ceramic, wood and stone turtles look at you from each shelf in any shop, even if it's a liquor store. There is no surprise in meeting turtles in Zakynthos.
It was a nice morning. I took a mask and a snorkel and went to swim. The water was calm but the sea life was really busy. I hovered in the water almost motionless, staring at the soldier crabs and sea stars. The turtle arised from the blue as suddenly as if it was painted and animated in the moment when I looked at it. It seemed to soar in the water gently raising and lowering the fins-wings, its big eyes were sad and wise. For a moment it looked at me, while slipping by, and then disappeared into the blue water. These two or three seconds of contact with the miracle, the time filled with only my heartbeat in stunned silence, the moment of meeting of two creatures from different worlds, has left an indelible mark on my soul.
I quickly learned to pay attention to the miracles. A miracle happened when I was sitting on the embankment in Stockholm with a Belgian girl from the hostel whom I saw for the first time. We were eating sandwiches with jam and just chatting instead of running between “places-you-need-to-see”. A miracle was when I met a guy from my country in a foreign city. He was an owner of a candy store, and I eat candies with coffee in the side chamber, telling him the latest news from our homeland, while he was serving the customers. A miracle was when I found a crow youngling in the grass in Malahide.
This magic is not available through the monitor screen. There is no Google Miracles Maps. Photos do not convey the magic of the moment in the full blossom. Break out from the Internet web and open the front door because there you will find a big new wonderful world.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About bignewworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.