Existing Member?

Banmaichaiyapot Unique Experiences

Banmaichaiyapot Unique Experiences

THAILAND | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [141] | Scholarship Entry

Thinking about taking a time-out from technology and social networking?
Banmaichaiyapot is a perfect place for you. With only two main streets and one intersection, it is one of the smallest towns in Thailand. There is no shopping mall or theater, what you will find here is a panoramic view of rice paddies, stretching from where you stand to the horizon in every directions. You can spend your day walking on the dirt tracks between the rice paddies and smelling the light fragrance of the growing jasmine rice, or you can tie a hammock and enjoy your evening reading your favorite book under the trees. It is so quiet and peaceful that you can hear the breeze blowing across the field and the sounds of Buddhist monks chanting in distance. Home staying with the locals in the village will give you the full experiences of how Thai lifestyle is like. They are very generous and will be willing to host you for free; however, helping with some chores around the house like watering the fruit trees and feeding the chickens in exchange would be appreciated.

There are many kinds of local food here for you to taste ranging from the simple pork or chicken stir-fry dish to fish, crabs, insects, lizards, rats and even frogs! – All fresh and organic from the field and the wild. If you have a gut for this, try it all!

Getting here – First, take a 4-hour bus ride from Bangkok to Korat, then take another 1.5-hour bus ride to Banmaichaiyapot. The bus may stop many times along the route to pick up more people, do their business or even pick up Katin (local veggies) for their dinner. Just chill out. No needs to hurry - we all have plenty of time.

Tips
- Go with the locals will be more convenient. Don’t know any locals? Contact me
- If you learn some basic Thai phase beforehand, it will be very useful. We all love foreigners but we are mostly shy, so if you approach us first and start speaking in Thai, it will be a good way to break the ice and start a conversation

To conclude, Banmaichaiyapot is a small town in a hidden corner of the world, you won’t hear this name again in any other guide book. But this place will show you that happiness does exist even among the people who have very little. The picture of children chasing each other in the rice puddy and their mothers smiling is a common sight here. You will go back home with the feeling of gratefulness for what you have and you probably become very generous to other people. You will not regret if you visit this place!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About bigbluesky


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.