Existing Member?

Romanian roots, visiting "Tanti Joana" y name is Bettina Theuerkauf, I am a 23 year old student, studying Media Technology in Germany. It was due to my courses that I bought my first camera only a few years ago and since than I stuck with the subject. I always knew that I could not work primar

Romanian Roots - visiting "Tanti Joana"

GERMANY | Thursday, 10 January 2013 | Views [514]

"Tanti Joana" remembered me as I was a baby and was so moved by seeing me again that she took out her mobile phone in order to dial a friend of hers, living only a few steps away from her house and tell her the good news of my visit. I was more than surprised to see that she had a mobile phone and even more surprised and moved about her reaction. It showed me once again, that happiness is not depending on social status or material things but rather on such small things like family, friends and appreciating the things you have. Happiness is only real when shared. (Nucetu, Romania Sep. 11, 2011)

House 326, Nucetu, Romania. Nucetu is a small village on the Romanian countryside. The majority of its young and able to work inhabitants left their village in search for a better future. Left behind are the old people who didn’t want to leave their home or didn’t have the chance to, visited only seldom by their relatives in order to bring them food and other things needed. "Tanti Joana" is 80 years old, one of the last inhabitants of the village Nucetu and living on her own having only a few ducks and hens. She is the mother of three daughters and an incredible strong woman; she is my grand aunt. As my family and I moved to Germany when I was one year old, I haven't had the opportunity to get to know her till the time I came to visit Nucetu in September 2011.  She remembered me as I was a baby and was so moved by seeing me again that she took out her mobile phone in order to dial a friend of hers, living only a few steps away from her house and tell her the good news of my visit. I was more than surprised to see that she had a mobile phone and even more surprised and moved about her reaction. It showed me once again, that happiness is not depending on social status or material things but rather on such small things like family, friends and appreciating the things you have. Happiness is only real when shared.  (Nucetu, Romania Sep. 11, 2011)

 

About me and my reason to go to Oman:

My name is Bettina Theuerkauf, I am a 23 year old student, studying Media Technology in Germany. It was due to my courses that I bought my first camera only a few years ago and since than I stuck with the subject. I always knew that I could not work primarily in an office in front of a computer but rather have to go out into the world and be creative, work with people. Before photography I felt lost, as I couldn’t find any creative field that would keep my interest for a long time. The moment I held my first camera in my hands it seemed like new gates have opened and I suddenly started reshaping my life in order to become a photographer. I started self-educating myself in the fields of photography but recognized that it was not enough. At this moment I was not sure in which fields of photography I wanted to work so I decided to take my obligatory internship with a fashion photographer in Hamburg, Germany for half a year. It helped me a lot concerning the technical aspects and I learned how to work with clients and models. It was a good experience but I soon had to discover that I prefer the un-staged “real” photography, telling true stories, working with “real” people.

 For me, photography is more than just taking pictures; it is the possibility to tell stories, stories that have to be told in order to inform, to change something in myself as well as the people surrounding me. I love the way photography makes it possible to grasp moments that otherwise would be forgotten. Photography allows me to travel places I would never have visited and to meet people I would never have met otherwise.

 As my university didn’t offer enough photography courses I decided to take a voluntary semester abroad in England, just for focusing on photography and photojournalistic courses. Through this semester abroad, I had the opportunity to get to know Britain’s oldest man, the reverend Thomas Reginald "Reg" Dean. He passed away on the 7th January 2013,, only two month after me visiting him, aged 110 years and 63 days. It was due to photography that I had the honor of visiting him and experiencing his admirable positive attitude towards live which he still showed after living through two world wars and despite being bound to bed the last months of his live. He taught me that no matter what happens around you, how much misery is following your life and the life of others, it’s us, every one of us who can change something, even if its only the attitude towards one subject. I think that every person can teach you something, no matter what age, which life story, which social class, which culture he belongs to or had. Photography is teaching me as a human being interacting with my surroundings, giving me the opportunity to reflect upon it and giving me the chance to share those experiences with others. The longer I take pictures the longer I see its necessity. I no longer just take pictures but rather start living what I do. It is giving me so much personally that I finally know what I want to do in the next years. I want to become a photojournalist and I am ready to do everything necessary to get there!My studies in Germany are nearly finished, the only thing missing is my bachelor thesis that I am going to do in the fields of photojournalism and I now have to start thinking about the period after that. Till now I am financially totally depended on my parents and haven’t had the opportunity to earn any money with my photographical works. I spend most of my self-earned money for my passion. This scholarship would give me the chance of not only learning a lot about the work of a professional photojournalist but also of taking my first step into the business.

So, why should you take me? Because I would with absolute certainty appreciate if such a unique opportunity would be given to me and put as much effort into it as possible.  I am eager to learn, determined and stubborn when it comes to reaching the goals I set for myself, reliable, open minded and least but not last totally passionate about photography. 

 

Tags: happiness, mobile phone, old woman, romania

About bettinath


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.