Existing Member?

Falling in Love twice

Hidden love

PORTUGAL | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [229] | Scholarship Entry

At age of 24, I found myself living in Italy. I could easily describe the wonderful landscapes in Rieti ( the city that I live), the delicious italian pasta (or pizza, or ice creams), or the turist bustle that is Rome on sundays ( and not only) to see the Pope. Yes, I could. But from this experience abroad - that I have greatly enjoyed - I found out what is to fall in love again for my own country. Everytime I return and everytime that I have to go back.
I wanted to tell you about the first time that I come back to Portugal after more than 4 months living in Italy.
I was excited, that's sure, but more for seeing my friends and family that for being again in my country. Four days were enough to relieve the memories from my old life. Since I had one more week left befoe coming back, I decided to visit the capital of Portugal.
I've been in Lisbon before, of course, maybe once or twice. Always accompanied, always distracted of its beauties.
I arrived late night and went straight to the apartment that a friend had kindly lent me. I fell asleep immediately.
I woke up with the first rays of sun kissing sweetly my face and the morning greeting from the birds, mixing with the buzz of people in rush to go to work. I left home with ease and excitement. And, in the next three days, I was a turist in my own country: I went to the historical streets of Alfama with the soundtrack of the wonderful portuguese fado, honoring tragic love stories, drank the typical ginginha in a chocolate cup with a delicious pastel de Belem, took the yellow train towards a fantastic sunset with a beautiful panorama over Lisbon. Before I left, I still had time to have a drink at the legendary "Bairro Alto" where I met a british street artist who fell in love with my country.
"I can't imagine how you could leave Portugal. I can't see myself going anywhere else: this is paradise!" - he said apparently shocked with my choice.
" I didn't leave Portugal. As you see I'm here. This is my home, and we always return home. But it doesn't mean that I cannot see other places, experience new cultures and new people. This is my country and I will always coming back to it." - I said inflamed ( and with a few drinks on my back).
He smiled at me, turn is back and went on his way, and I mine.
I never thought I could love so much my little country by the sea planted, but I guess we value things when we lost them. And I know that it is not to late to ad more chapters in this love story.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About betternotstop


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.