Existing Member?

The Trans-Siberian

Kuching, Sarawak Province, Malaysian Borneo

MALAYSIA | Thursday, 6 December 2012 | Views [542]

After almost 38 hours of traveling (a 9 hour layover in Kuala Lumpur) I finally arrived in Borneo! That's about the longest trip ever. A friend and I left Koh Tao on a night ferry- we were assured there were beds. Well, once we boarded the ferry we noticed that the "beds" were actually about 100 tiny mattresses lined up along both sides of the boat. They were about as wide as half a twin mattress, so it was quite claustrophobic. And the fan above our section wasn't working. That was one long boat ride. We arrived in Surat Thani about 5 and had to walk to a couple different travel offices. Finally, we go on a van headed for the border with a few Thais and a French couple making a visa run. We ended up switching buses/vans 3 times. No explanation given. By the time we arrived in KL, it was midnight the following day. I had an early flight so just hung out with my friend and his friends, eating good Malaysian food until it was time to head to the airport. After arriving in Kuching, the capitol of Sarawak Province on the island of Borneo, I was sent through immigration control again! This was after flying from one Malaysian city to another. I hadn't slept more then a wink in 2 days and eaten even less, so I was not amused that I had to stand in another long line in order to exit the airport.

     Finally, after a 30 minute taxi ride, I arrived at a hostel and thank God they had a bed available. But I was sooo hungry, I had to go get some food before I could finally crawl into bed after 38 hours on the road. Kuching is an interesting city with a lot of colonial architecture- it was once part of the British empire, until the 20th century. I visited several museums. Museums in developing countries are always interesting. The rooms are usually basic and you'll find priceless pieces of art hanging by a cord or rope.

    It's super hot here, like everywhere else, I suppose. The Raflesia is in bloom- the largest flower in the world with a 3 foot diameter and smells like death. Only problem is it's about 4 hours to get to that part of the jungle by bus, taxi and walking. I didn't wake up in time for the 7 am bus, so didn't see the Raflesia today. Unfortunately it only blooms about once a month and today was the last day it's supposed to be in bloom. Oh well, I saw pictures! Tomorrow I will go to visit orangutans at a rehabilitation center, then I'll spend several nights in the jungle, in the Bako National Park. Gotta take a bus to another town then catch a boat upriver to the reserve. Should be fun!

    Malaysia is a muslim country and there are many mosques around town. The majority of women wear hijabs. It's rather interesting, then, that I receive a lot more catcalls from the men here then I have anywhere else in Asia. Perhaps because they don't see many westerners here? Whatever the reason, it's annoying. I also get a lot of stares here. Not many non-Malaysian tourists here. I saw all of 3 westerners yesterday. A few more today.

 

About bethsiu3


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.