Existing Member?

The Trans-Siberian

Guilin and Yangshuo, China

CHINA | Monday, 15 October 2012 | Views [481] | Comments [1]

Well, my blog ended up getting blocked in Guilin, but got through here in Yangshuo.  So yesterday we went on a tour to the Dragon Backbonreticent terraces and the Long Hair village where the women have hair past their feet! It's harvest time, so it was very interesting watching the process. It's all done by hand and the terraces are built on mountainsides, so they are about 3 rows deep. They've been doing this technique for 650 years! We went out to dinner last night, but no English or pictures of the dishes, so I just pointed to the prettiest Chomese characters to order. Not a good idea! I couldn't figure out what I was eating for the longest time, just that there were organs and some weird spotted skin. I didn't figure it out until I picked up a piece and realized it was a turtle foot! So I didn't eat much more of it. I took a bus to Yangshuo today and am staying at a hostel in a nearby village. It's beautiful! So much nicer then Guilin! A friend and I rented scooters and explored the countryside, checking out all the karstformations. They are a must see! Just breathtaking. We came across some bamboo boats in a riveAmanda took one down the river. I wish I could upload pictures to this blog! They have cormorants that they fish with- the birds dive for fish and bring them to the surface for the fishermen. I plan on staying here for awhile before heading to Vietnam. And I got to use a friend's VPN address so I could check Facebook. I was so excited to get on FB again! Alas, no more until Thailand, I think. Heard it's blocked in Vietnam as well.The Mosquitos are horrible here! I'm getting welts all over my legs.

 

Comments

1

Guilin is one of the best-known tourist city located in the southern China. The town itself is very scenic surrounded by two rivers and four lakes.
http://www.etripchina.com/guilin/guilin-facts.htm

  et Nov 1, 2012 7:23 PM

About bethsiu3


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.