Existing Member?

Sacred Adventures

Mbuluzi

SWAZILAND | Friday, 2 May 2014 | Views [266] | Scholarship Entry

Arriving at the tented lodges of Mbuluzi I could hear the oogh oogh of the baboons across the creek. I felt instantly at home somehow. One morning as I made breakfast at the sink I noticed a visitor with a rather long neck, huge eyes and long lashes peering in the window at me. I fell in love. It was one of the many giraffes wandering the grounds. Beneath the gaze of it's innocence and tranquility I felt myself fall in sync with the natural rhythm of the place. I loved taking outdoor showers under the sun and moon, riding in the jeeps and walking along dusty paths spotting the animals. Despite this serenity an even deeper experience was to emerge for me.

I'll never forget the day that I saw him. He was about 11, orphaned and living in the bush. He looked into the distance from behind the wire fence of the safe house and I wondered if he was envisioning a better future for himself. I'd seen him shortly after we arrived at the safe house for pre school aged children, whose parents had mostly died from AIDS. As we got closer I was expecting to see sadness etched on the faces of these orphans who lived in the bush. But they were happy and smiling. We discussed with the Minister and Principal what we could do for these kids, who only ate a handful of grain each day and were badly in need of more clothing, food and water. This boy in particular stood out for me. He was handsome, strong and proud looking and had determination in his eyes. I wondered if there was anything I could do to help him realise the dream I thought I could see in his eyes.I felt the beginning of something. Though not fully realised yet it ignited a desire in me to become an advocate in some way for children such as him. Leaving there has not faded the memory of that boy from my mind.

Swaziland is full of beautiful people and it is so different to how we live it would be easy to judge it as less in some way. I feel for the orphaned children living in the bush but can't help remark that their lack of the extras seems to make them happy In a way we often lack in the west. I am hoping the boy I saw at Mbuluzi will still be there. I hope he is not one of the victims of aids. He and the other children at the Mbuluzi safe house unknowingly helped me to ignite a link to my future. They were such a transformative part of my experience. I am going to return someday on safari and hopefully visit them again. I am holding my vision of that and planning it. Even as I write it’s set in motion.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About berniedee


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Swaziland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.