Existing Member?

Out and about

Arrival and first days

INDIA | Saturday, 12 January 2013 | Views [366]

7th-8th of Jan

 

Arrive in Delhi, the flight was two hours delayed because of the fog. I had red that I was supposed to get a prepaid taxi, and was looking for where I could get one but couldn’t see any stand. I saw something like “authorized air port taxi” with uniformed men and thought that looked legal enough… and from then the shit hit the fan. I did everything wrong: didn’t pay in advance, two men were in the car with me, they drove me to a “tourist office” where they told me the train was delayed. It was a very clever scam, I even spoke on the phone with what I thought was the train people, and I even asked them to call my hotel and saw how they punched the number in… but the phone was probably not even connected! In the end I just wanted to get out of there and agreed to a ridiculously overpriced taxi.

As I arrived to my accommodation, the host Shiron got very very angry with the taxi driver and called the police, and managed to get some money back for me. Shiron and his mother were the loveliest host I ever could wish for, so warm and welcoming.

I met another swede and her 15 year old daughter, and they quickly became like an extra family too, with them I saw most of Agra and had a lovely time. In the second evening we had dinner at the homestay, and a girl from a family Shirons mother wanted to help out, came over to decorate our hands with henna.  We talked to Shiron about his marriage plans, as he is 29, he needs to marry this year before he turns 30, because then he can only get “old girls”. He had 19 candidates, they all had very elaborate profiles with pictures and information about height, weight, education, family, occupation, skin type etc etc…. When he likes someones picture, his mother then goes over to them to visit and watch the girl and her mother. If his mother approves, they are then invited over to his house and they meet, and the other family also get to see how they live and what their income is like. Shiron also told us how his mother loved dimples, and once she took him to a doctor so that he could make operations to get them… but he refused as it would be impossible to eat for a month! He also told us about his personal astrologist, and how it was in his stars that he was going to start a new business at the end of this year, and own a bmw series 7 within 3 years.

 

Tags: agra, delhi

About berg_alex


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.