Existing Member?

Tales

Geneva

SWITZERLAND | Thursday, 17 July 2008 | Views [492]

GENEVA - SWITZERLAND

 

FRIDAY 29th APRIL 2005

A case of never meeting anyone then they all come together. First at the queue in security were Nicki Lucas and her new boy Rick who were on route  to London for a wedding. Then at the departure gate Joanne Eardley and her new boy Steve who being at the same gate as ourselves are travelling to Geneva. After polite conversation and plenty of Bon Homie in the airport it was apparent that Steve had no intent of spending time with Alison and myself insisting on separate taxi into Geneva despite their hotel being 100 metres from ours. That was the last we saw of them until our return.

 

SATURDAY 30th APRIL 2005

Informed that breakfast was not included within cost of hotel so spat dummy and headed off to Starbucks where we no doubt paid more and got less than what was offered at the hotel but one had to make a point. Following breakfast the Jet D’Eau which is the dominating feature of Geneva was dismissed as a fountain, albeit a large fountain, but a fountain nevertheless and the lure of shops attracted much more of Alison’s attention. So it was that we Rhure de Rhone was tramped from one end to the other. The “rich” shops fronting the lake did not even warrant a look in the window. Cartier, Louis Vitton, Hermes, etc being so ridiculously expensive that even had we the money to purchase I would like to think that I had better sense. It would be interesting to know if they have a full refund service like Marks and Spencer and if any of the “A” list celebrities actually had the bottle to return goods they have had second thoughts on.

 It was also noted that the super rich who frequent these places have their chauffeur’s drive direct to the door whereupon they exit the car enter the shop, purchase and are swept away. The vigorous traffic wardens elsewhere in the city are funnily enough absent in this area. Is it being cynical to assume that they do not have the wherewithal to present tickets to these upper class snobs.

Following the proverbial high street tour we set off up the hill to the old city whereupon we came across a totally different Geneva. A labyrinth of streets designed in a long ago period before the internal combustion engine was invented and whilst the layout made it difficult for the motor car the residents still managed to get their four wheel drive vehicles as close to their expensive apartments as they could. The presence of vehicle kind of spoilt the peaceful ambience. The area was also home to a multitude of small shops selling an array of goods not found in the multi national stores spread along the High Street. This was also the area where the locals came for their mid day lunch with little bistros and cafes dotted all over the place.

We had evening meal at Le Petit Chalet. A pizza parlour who were not best pleased that all we required was a pizza apiece and nothing else. Following a disgruntled waiter we were back on the street after 30 minutes.

SUNDAY 1st MAY 2005

          Having booked train tickets to Gstaad for a 7.30 am departure we got to the station early and hopped on to the 7.10 am departure which was an express so alighted at Lausanne with 30 minutes to kill before the next train to Montreaux. Given the early hour everything was closed. A bit silly in hindsight getting off. However such is the confidence in the Swiss railway service that you can get off knowing that your connection will arrive on time. Unlike back in England. Sure enough bang on time the Montreaux train arrived and duly despatched us for the Gstaad connection with a couple of minutes to spare.

            Almost immediately from pulling away from the platform the train was climbing into the mountains and the picture postcard beauty of the Swiss Alps complete with the timber chalets dotted in green fields populated by golden brown cows with bells hung around their necks. At each stop the guard walked the complete length of the platform picking up any litter deposited by wayward passengers and following the checking of his Swiss timepiece the whistle was blown to instruct the driver to pull away at precisely the correct time. This precision had to be maintained as for most of the route it was single track with passing places at the station. A delayed train would therefore have sent repercussions throughout the line.

            Following a splendid ride through the mountains and a full day to spend in Gstaad it was disappointing to find that being a Sunday the place was closed down. After a brief wander about and a coffee and cakes in a bakers shop we headed off downhill to the next village Saanen. This was also closed. Train back to Montreaux and photo next to the Freddy Mercury statue. The views from the lakeside are superb and on this sunny afternoon there were hundreds out for a stroll along the boulevard. A wide array from ripped jeans to the haute couture all intermingling and enjoying the sunshine. People watching on a grand scale.

MONDAY 2nd MAY 2005

          Evening flight so once again day spent trawling through the shops and a visit to the local park. Whilst the advent of cheap flights has put Geneva on the weekend map the city remains a transit point for the real Switzerland and other than shopping has little to offer.

About benwellbrian


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.