Existing Member?

One Year of Sundays

Namaste from Jayanagar

INDIA | Sunday, 10 August 2008 | Views [778] | Comments [10]

Appologies for the delay there were some technical issues that have now been resloved.

6/8/2008

Namaste from Jayanagar (suburb in Bangalore)!

Ben and I had a great flight it wasn’t too painful, all thanks to the commodities and comforts of Singapore Airlines J  yay!

Ben and I having an awesome time and things are slowly falling into place. We’ve found accommodation, a place to call home at a place called ‘4Th Block Inn’, it’s well looked after, super clean (beyond my cleaning obsession), it’s close to yoga a 5min walk to Jayanagar’s shopping district which is complete madness!!!  The owner and workers are so friendly that they’re helping us out with our first Kannada lessons (Kannada is the state language spoken in Bangalore which has English words randomly thrown into it). 

It’s overwhelmingly polluted but there is plenty of greenery and many pockets of sanctuary getaways. Our place is in a quieter and richer (unbelievably rich) area and with less visual poverty. It’s a way different experience from last time. So far no monkeys, only a hand full of cows, one beggar and loads of noisy squirrels. The streets are cleaner and there’s heaps of café’s, bakeries (can you believe they have sourdough and spelt!) and jewellery shops. There’s a lot of money here that’s for sure.  Another thing Ben and I came to realize it that Jayanagar is not a touristy area so it’s made it a lot more challenging (harder eh eh) for us to find things.

Yoga is going well, Ben, myself and a Colombian girl are the only westerners in the class along with lots of lovely Indian ladies in their traditional getup.  The yoga teacher is the comedic type who bursts out in jokes at every chance he’s got. The classes are mostly in Kannada with about 10%  of the class in English. He has a gentle touch (sarcasim intended) when adjusting people in their poses, like standing on them and pulling their arms and poor Ben experienced it!

The food is amazing, yummy South Indian cuisine… Tali, Dosa, Idli, roti and  lots of sweets including Gulab Jamun… mmmmm  but they don’t do latte’s very well eh eh who cares when there’s Chai!!

Anyway, it’s lunch time and I’m hanging for a Tali so I’ll pass you on to Ben.

Love you and miss you all.

Sil xox

p.s….. oh did I mention it’s monsoon season!!! It rains at least once a day around 4pm and it gets very steamy!!

 

 

 

 

So, the flight was good was it? Ahh but you didn’t have the flu did you.

It was a killer of flight for me and the first I’ve done without getting pissed which isn’t as interesting as it sounds. We arrived to news that 7 bombs had gone off in the city a few days earlier and a hotel room that smelt like a mix between mothballs and fresh turds. It was at this stage I was a little concerned about our stay in Bangalore and the whole yoga deal.

Thank Shiva we found the place we are in now as it pretty much saved this stage of the trip. We looked around for a new place to stay and as this is suburban India there is not much in the way of hotels, or restaurants, or internet cafes or any of the things that there are thousands of in tourist areas.

It has been a full on mission to explore our surroundings to find what is on offer, Lonely Planet never quite made it here, but its been fun. We now have our handful of food joints which aren’t really restaurants as its fast food Indian style and you eat standing, supermarkets, cafes but only one shitty internet that has about 5 serves  of curry on every keyboards and goes back 3 pages (sometimes 2) when you click back. We found another one so if you are reading this we have had success! (ie technical difficulties!!!)

From a rocky start this place is starting to feel like home and I think we could easily stay here for a few months. The yoga is interesting the food is awesome and the people couldn’t give a shit about us (in a good way, 1 week here and no one has hassled us for anything!)

It’s kind of like an Indian themed amusement city. The craziness is there but cut back a few notches. Sure there are still people pissing in the street but it’s not like it’s on every street…….. photos to follow….

 

Ben

 

 

 

 

Comments

1

Hi guys!!! wow, im so fucking jealous!!! but so happy. That pic of your food just reminded me of what i missed about being on holiday!! i wish i was anywhere but here. Justin just farted and put a light to his ass hahahaha! yes, thats my life at the moment, watching my friend light his own farts. Its so cold here tonight, im over this fucking winter hell, just give me sun and warmth. The Olympics is now on as well GIVE A FUCK!!! im so over all the hype....such bullshite.
All is well here, we're moving to the Kville next week, kind of happy..it will be nice saving a bit of dosh.
Alf has a second interview with Nine MSN, he is excited and i think he'll get it.
Im still hating work and wishing i will win the lotto.
ho fucking hum!!! i miss u, so close but so far!!
Love u and lots of love and hugs to Ben too xoxoxoxoxoxo

  Rose Aug 10, 2008 8:32 PM

2

hey guys glad to hear you made it there safe. mum was freaking out when you didnt reply to her email so i just subtly put it out there that you could be dead...wont do that again. we had a black out today (which is sunday) and mum was spitting chips cause she couldnt watch the olympics. dads in gardening mode and i just finished trial hsc so i got a week off to sleep in. anyways ill make sure to stay in touch with you two and your most excellent adventures in india.

matt

  Turd Burgler Aug 10, 2008 9:06 PM

3

hey i love hwo we get the two different sides like this! hehehe. seedys mum has offered us tickets to europe. i'm hoping if he starts to read this he'll get excited and be desperate to go travel. so i am starting the research into house swaps and all that. need somebody to feed the cat and ideally pay my rent too. its our wedding anniversary this month. we can decide or remember if its two or three years. i think two he thinks three so we will have to get the certificate out and have a look. all i know is i'm getting a present or else! and guess what....i picked it now fingers crossed that what i'm getting a lovely new dead fox coat. its been freezing here which is good for wearing all manner of dead animals- which i regularly do. glad you guys have found an idea that gives you some peace. keep doing that yoga girl and those pants will be waiting for you ;). well i'd better tell seedy to knock the drumming off as its nearly 10pm on a sunday night. tie to feed the man meat! lots of love. X

  libby Aug 10, 2008 9:30 PM

4

aww well good to hear you made it safe and sound. joe and i have had an interesting start to our honeymoon with an intrepid tour for 15 days (bootcamp eat ur heart out). we are now in malta and going to good ol' roccella on tuesday for a week of sun. after that its driving from toscana all the way to torino via bologna. after that london. (im tired just from typing it.)
ben, my sympathies for ur not-so lovely plane trip. SOMEONE i know didnt want to drink anything on his plane ride bec God-forbid he would have to get up and go to the itsy-bitsy-toilet. then the complaints started for headaches and all the rest. you would think i married a calabrese cos this one's got a testa dura (hard head/stubborn).
we are counting the hours and minutes until we leave here, its sunday and august so things are either closed cos its the weekend or bec they're renovating or bec whoever is on summer holidays. good grief. oh, and its stinkin' hot to the point we had heat exhaustion for quite a few days.
looking forward to hearing more about ben's closeness with the yoga instructor ... lol.
take care and chat soon, regos xoxo

  regos Aug 11, 2008 4:12 AM

5

Hello India, nice to hear more and more of your stories, and see your piccies. Good to hear you found a clean, hygenic place to stay. Silvy- news from work
Someone weirdo made a surveillance hole in the women's public toilets- knocked a small hole in the wall. Nice view- particularly if you get your jollies watching volunteers goes to the toilet. Aren't you glad you left the sick library. Ha. No we really miss you- very queit and dul lately. Looking forward to more stories about Ben and the Yoga instructor.
Look after yoursleves. Great to see your piccies, cant wait to see more.
Ces

  Ces Aug 11, 2008 10:17 AM

6

Namaste mate

One beggar, very strange. If he is not mad I would employ him, he would should know where everything is and what is going down.
How do you go buying stuff? Can you barter? Do you get charged the white rich tourist prices? I have'nt looked at your pics yet will do that 2morrow, this is just a note on the fly. Work tomorrow, Tues. Off last week, Nancy and I went to NZ to sort out family stuff. Also my mother was depressed so we went to cheer her up, which we did. I spent alot of time in the hot salt water pools at the Mount. Love it, heavy grey rain clouds trapped by the mountain, pouring rain and freezing cold out of the pool so I stay for hours. I had to ago to the eye specialist today so went to town by train. What a horrid inhumane experience, so overcrowded, crazy, its not that there are too many people it is a lack of trains. This is Sydney, shocking.
It is colder in Sydney at the moment than I can ever remember. I am so happy for you both being away and having an exciting adventure.
love and thoughts
T
x

  trish Aug 11, 2008 9:13 PM

7

Hey guys!

Everything sounds cool, though I was surprised to hear Silvi sounding like the super positive one! Hehe. glad you found a great place to settle in to for a while. As I said before, I'm so amazed you guys launched into teh yoga so quickly. Very impressive! Stoked you found your spelt too! Magic country.

Things are fine here. Nothing of importance to note, especially as I'm away from the library. I got sad and emailed Nikki and Cath (dork that I am). Am trying to concentrate on this uni thing, but just feel like I'm supposed to be holidays, walking to the park each day, sitting in the sun, drinking beer...

Anywho, I hope you guys have a lovely time. It all sounds wonderful and I'm really jealous but ultra happy for you. Chat soon XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

  Jess Aug 12, 2008 9:33 AM

8

Namaskara! Chennaagidira? Naanu chennagiddene. ondhu, yeradu, mooru, naalku, aidhu, aaru, yeLu, yentu, ombattu..Havdu, Illa.
oh yeah im ready to come and visit you now! so much happening over your way. happy new neuron connections for you. now tell me the truth is the food really yummy like nothing before?

it was my birthday today :) one more year in the earth's waiting room

take care until then.....Hogibitt Barthene
Val & Dan xox


ps you may already know but......
"Rickshaw drivers are required by law to display their identification on the dashboard or the back of their seats. Refuse to get into a rickshaw that does not".
wikitravel

The minimum charge as of February 2008, is Rs 14 for the first 2km and Rs 7 for every additional km.

  Val and Dan Aug 19, 2008 9:55 PM

9

Hey Guys, Sounds like everything is pretty cool so far. Will bookmark this page so I can check it for updates.

Take care!

  Tony Aug 24, 2008 9:39 PM

10

Namaste sista and Ben-ja-min,

I finally have time for internet to catch up on all your stories and see all your pics. Sux bout your asthma silvi. Bonus on the food! I'ts a sunny day here in Jindy, going to fish out at the lake, take it easy with a few beers and take some pics. Love you lots! xx

  erica Aug 25, 2008 12:22 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.