Existing Member?

Hitting the Alaska Maritime Highway

B-52 Lake

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [154] | Scholarship Entry

Outside the Hanoi Hilton, the prison where incumbent Arizona Senator John McCain was incarcerated for six years (an experience almost as disheartening to him as losing to George W Bush in the 2000 presidential primary), I waved my hand and immediately an enterprising scooter driver pulled up beside me. Whether he was a professional driver will never be known, but anyone who can navigate Vietnam’s fast and furious traffic earns my respect. ‘Please take me to the Vietnam Peoples Air Force Museum,’ I asked (Truong Chinh St, Bach Mai District, an easy 10 minute trip from the city centre). I then hopped on the back of the Honda and plunged headlong into the non-descript outer ‘burbs’ of Hanoi.
Upon my arrival, I was overwhelmed by what unfolded in front of me. More like a junkyard than an orderly collection of artifacts, it was like a scene from dystopian fiction. I wandered amongst the haphazard arrangement of planes in a state of fascination, soaking in the surreal atmosphere of aircraft in various states of distortion and decay. I was struck by the amount of freedom I was afforded as I absorbed every nook and cranny. If I where at a museum in the west, security guards would be watching in case I inadvertently breathed upon the relics.
As I was the only visitor, I was free to wander at my heart’s content. As I ambled further into the collection, the prize piece revealed itself; the twisted remains of jumbo sized B-52 bomber. My state of excitement subsided into solemn reflection when I thought about the savage violence that had brought this behemoth to its fiery end and pondered the unimaginable suffering inflicted on each side of the conflict. In this reflective mood, I thought it time to head home. My driver had other plans. On the back of the bike I thought to myself, ‘This doesn’t look like the way back’. This was when mild concern crept in.
There was no need to worry. Seeing that I enjoyed the museum so much the driver used his local knowledge to show me something totally unexpected. Before me was the ragged remnants of a B-52 bomber brought down by a missile on the 27th of December 1972. The wreckage seemed incongruous against the suburban scene and is well known as B-52 lake or Huu Tiep Lake (Ngo.55 Hoang Hoa Tham Rd,Ngoc Ha). I invited my driver to sit down for a beer at the nearby B-52 café (recommended for its lakeside location). This great guide gained my gratitude for an aviation adventure that had me flying high.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ben-st-aubyn


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.