Existing Member?

Wunderlust

The beginning of my wunderlust

INDONESIA | Thursday, 1 May 2014 | Views [169] | Scholarship Entry

On October 1st, 2005 I flew to Bali, Indonesia as a nine year old girl with my family. Also on October 1st, 2005 was one of the most horrific terrorist attacks gracing the televisions screens of millions of people around the world. These bombings took the lives of 20 people and injured more than 100 others. My family was quickly advised to return to Australia if we wished, but thank my lucky stars, my parents decided we would stay! My adventures all over Bali and its little neighbouring island, Lombok with my family left me with a new appreciation for other cultures, people, cuisine and also for my home country, Australia.
There are many great difference between Australia and Bali. When you're walking through one of the many markets in Bali, you won't know where to look first. The brightest colours spilling out of crammed stalls, native children running around with the biggest smiles you can imagine, and thousands of voices originating from all over the globe creating a symphony of conversations. Walk along the beach and you can stop to get a massage, have your hair braided or ride on a banana boat. Jump in a taxi and hold on, because two laned roads become five, with tiny scooters transporting an entire family zip between the smallest of spaces. I will never forget the day that I saw a family of six on one scooter dart between a cow and a bus while a baby sat in a bucket hanging over the handle bars! If you're looking for a crazy, action-packed life that never stops, then Bali is the place for you.

Thanks to my first trip overseas to Indonesia, I now have a burning desire to travel the world and see every sight there is to see.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About bellatravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.