Existing Member?

Kilchi In The West

Christiania

DENMARK | Monday, 18 May 2015 | Views [110] | Scholarship Entry

We are looking at the map of Copenhagen pointed all those sightseeing worth visiting.
- Here is this church, here is that cathedral … here that monument and etc. – says a girl from the city to me not mentioning a strange symbol pointed on outskirts. Being in number of western and eastern European countries somehow I am bothered with all the same: churches, castles, museums and etc. So, now looking for the something different I stared on that strange point on the map and ask her to satisfy my curiosity:
- This is Christiania – Hippie place – is an answer.
Christiania – small district aside, being apart from the city administration, police and even rejecting EU law, makes me more curious. I decided to visit it firstly and then see the rest.
After half an hour walk I see its signboard. At the entrance metal wire statue of liberty handling cross, hammer and sickle welcomes me. No cars inside, just bicycles. This is Green Light District says another signboard inside.
I am walking down the streets looking at old buildings with colorful Graffiti and stencils, small houses in Scandinavian style with small yards in front of them, cafes only for vegans and pubs with couple of guys drinking beer inside. Green plants and the white flowers of wild plum trees are flourishing with cuddly smell. Pleasant calmness reigning around me slowly comes in my mind and makes me its part. I can hear even my steps. Time to time sun rays between the clouds warm my face. Soon I approach to the public square where people sitting on the several benches smoke marijuana freely and talk about stuff. Calm and untroubled faces. Beards as descendants of Vikings and rarely dreads. Now I feel myself freer than before. Tranquil and free. Symbolically I see a stone statue of Buddha standing aloof and soon after nearly it I see a pillar with arrows where the names of places throughout the world like Christiania with its distances from there are written. After sitting some minutes I go ahead and suddenly one poster stuck on the wall with these words draw my attention to it: Strong people stand up for themselves – Strong people stand up for others.
On the way back home this place once again made me realize that we – humans are born to be free in the time and space but when we socialize we get responsibility called not only respect others personalities but also take care of them, nature and other life beings surrounding us.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About beingintimeandspace


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.