Existing Member?

Ditch the Crowds and Find Your Zen

Can’t See the Temple for the Tourists

JAPAN | Thursday, 21 May 2015 | Views [174] | Scholarship Entry

My first time in Japan and it was for work! I promised myself I’d make the most it and took a couple of extra days. I made it through the 12 hour flight and embarked on a whirlwind of sightseeing. After two days in non-stop crowds with sticky humidity and aching feet, I was in desperate need of a little personal ‘zen’ space before I faced networking in a language I don’t speak!

My goal was Chishaku-in temple. Internet photos promised gorgeous gardens and a covered area that was perfect, since I was met by pouring rain that morning. It was supposed to a less visited temple, but on the 10 minute walk east of the Shichijo subway, I saw massive signs for the National Museum, the Temple of 1001 statues and even a Hyatt! I started to worry about those crowds again.

At the end of the road, all I saw was a wall. My spirits plummeted. After walking around (the wrong way) in the rain; trying to map it on my mobile again (not easy while holding an umbrella); and crossing the road 3 times, a lovely lady finally pointed me in the right direction. (Here’s a free tip: turn right at the wall, not left!)

I thought it might be ok when the lady at the temple gate smiled at me gently and waited patiently for me to juggle all my stuff and pay the 500 yen fee. I was right.

As soon as I entered the main area, my whole body went "ahhhh!" and relaxed. My shoulders crept down from around my ears and my feet sank into the cushioned floor. It was completely tranquil in the temple with a cool breeze on your skin, the sound of rain falling on the pond, and a stunning Japanese garden that people would pay serious money for. I could have sat and gazed at the scenery for ages (emphasis on the sitting). And this was just the first room!

The path through the temple took me through gardens and rooms that were like chapters of a book that you can’t put down. They all worked together. I loved the flow of lines in the rock garden. The painted panels were enchanting. Walking on the open veranda with colorful sheets blowing overhead was like stepping back in time.

The very best part was that there was practically noone else there! It may have been because I went early in the morning, but probably because this isn’t your typical temple – it’s hardly mentioned in the guidebooks! It was the ideal place to find my mental balance and re-energize my spirit.

A perfect end to my Kyoto visit.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About beenthereseenthat


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.