Existing Member?

Mexico to panama and Cuba in between

Tulum, mexico

MEXICO | Wednesday, 24 October 2012 | Views [543]

 

Tulum

I got the 8.30am bus to Tulum which was only a short 50 minutes away.
I grabbed a cab to playa Esperanza where the girls were staying but when I rocked up the gate was closed. The cabbie got someone's attention and we went through. The entire place is white sand walkways. They asked me to wait a few minutes so they could get the owner. Well I was waiting in paradise. On the balcony of a thatched cabana on, and I mean on, the carribbean ocean.
I went for a little wander while I was waiting and who should I spot right out the front but Lisa and katelyn!
Happy I was in the right place because this certainly looked more expensive than the 300 pesos I was paying!
The boys in my cabana hadn't checked out yet so the girls asked me to come along with them to snorkel in the cenote water holes.
They had met a Canadian dude who used to be a guide and he offered to take us there along with another Aussie, Brendan.
First we stopped off for some brekky which was pretty good but I got double bingo with a hair in my tostada and my watermelon juice.........score!
We made it to the cenote and I actually ran into a couple that had stayed at our hostel in Nicaragua. I actually shared a cab with them to Managua when I left for Mexico!
They swore black and blue that buzz had stolen their room key at the time, well she says "I've got something for you" and pulls out the pink room key! Fancy trying to blame a monkey?
We tried to get a locker but the locker dude was smashed on tequila and could only say in drunk Mexican "no lockers today it's drinky time" and laugh!
We went snorkeling in the caves full of clear blue cold water. Little fish everywhere that nibble on your body which is quiet an unnerving feeling.
Canadian Allan picked us up and we went to an actual supermarket. I bought some supplies in case we were not near anywhere to eat (which it turns out we weren't).
We got grog and food and went back to Allan's place and hung out drinking tequila or 'Craig David' shots with pineapple juice and eating hot dogs.
At about 9pm Allan drove us back to the beach via the Oxxo where lisa and brendan tried to get more alcohol without any luck. You cant get alcohol in this part of mexico after 9pm. Lisa even offered to show her boobs for tequila but still no go! Comment of the night from katelyn after we saw a woman in the oxxo in the worlds smallest bikini bottoms......."when the sun goes down in mexico its time to put some pants on"! There is no power from sunset to midnight at the place we are staying. I had no key at this stage so I went on a mission to find one with success. I'm staying in the cutest little cabana with a swing bed!
There's tiki torches and candles all around palm trees and white sand paths, it's paradise.
I fell asleep on my swing bed to the sound of the carribbean ocean just meters away. I hope I can stay one more night because I want to walk up to the ruins on the beach. Then I'll make my way to Belize.
Day 2
Woke up early and went for a walk along the beach toward the ruins and about 10 minutes in there they were! They look amazing on the cliff face above the clear blue ocean. Quite an unbelievable sight really. I couldn't get into the site because it wasn't open yet so I walked back to our part of the beach and went for a swim.
It started pissing down but it passes pretty quickly. That's the only problem with staying right on the beach in a hut, you are always covered in sand. A very small problem I might add.
Brendan left his shit on the beach when they went for a swim late last night and his wallet got flogged.
We all went for a frappacino at a resort up the beach where even the restaurants have white sand floors.
I decided to check out of my awesome beachside cabana and move on toward Belize. We caught a taxi, shoved my bags as well as brendans bike in the boot and went into town for brekky. We then parted ways with the 3 of them headed to playa del Carmen tomorrow, mainly for a feed of maccas!!
I caught the 1pm bus to chetumal  which is 3 hours away where I'm hoping I'm not too late to hop the ferry to caye caulker in Belize. Tulum is beautiful but very isolated in parts so we were really lucky to have Canadian Allan to drive us around really.
Number 1 beach so far!

About beebatoz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.