Existing Member?

Mexico to panama and Cuba in between

Merida

MEXICO | Friday, 12 October 2012 | Views [421]

 

Merida

Up at dawns crack again after a really good nights sleep at yaxkin hostel. Now I get those people who listen to 'the sounds of the rainforest' while snoozing.... It's nice! 
It is absolutely pouring with rain which makes for an even more nervous me on a bus, so I bought some Dramamine just in case! 
The bus is pretty empty and I've got the whole back of it to myself again with the dunny as my only friend and a Mel Gibson movie in Spanish! The 8 hours went surprisingly fast but that could be attributed to Dramamine!
Got into the bus station at 4pm on the dot and shared a cab into town with a local lady to hostel zocalo. Once again I forgot to look up a place to stay, but this one from rough guides is pretty good.
Dropped my shit off and went for a stroll around town and it's nice. The people are a whole lot friendlier than the ones in palenque. 
Picked up on a scam pretty quickly though after it happened twice in half an hour! Basically a guy comes up to you and starts speaking English being very helpful about where to go and what to see and eventually points you to a place round the corner that sells authentic Mayan jewellery, textiles etc.
I went to have a look and it's the most overpriced place in the world. The beautiful cushion covers I paid 100 pesos for in San cristobal are double that here. The sales woman said its because their quality is better..........bull farkin shit lady.
I was then told there was more jewellery upstairs with stones (after telling her I was just looking for plain silver). So I went upstairs and the lady went to get the resident 'shamen' to help read my balance and explain the stones.
The 'shamen' was about 35, wearing a Nike t-shirt and Levi jeans! 
After he started rattling on I explained to him while I respect their beliefs it's not necessarily for me and got the fark out of there!
I walked around the corner and the same thing happened. "where are you from blah blah blah, there's a festival tonight blah blah blah oh and by the way the only authentic Mayan gear is around the corner! Nice try amigo.
Anyway the town is nice but really hot as there is no mountains around. I think I'll move onto cancun tomorrow, I really need to see the beach and swim.
I got a couple of drinks and went back to the hostel. Ended up getting stuck listening to old mate from Chicago, he would not shut the fark up. I could see one of the girls in my room laughing so when he finally went I had a chat to her.
Her name was Hannah from Poland and she said she was headed to a local festival with a German girl, nina. So I tagged along with them and we ended up accidentally crashing a university fundraiser! Free entertainment was good enough but it was free food and drinks as well! So we scoffed it up there and then went to the other festival but it was boring. We nearly got eaten by a horse on the way back to the hostel as well.
I booked an 11am bus to cancun for tomorrow and it's only 4 hours away so I should be swimming in the clear blue ocean by 3pm! Hoorah. Adios amigos!

About beebatoz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.