Existing Member?

Beej and Bee´s South American Adventures

Tayrona National Park: The love of hammocks begins

COLOMBIA | Saturday, 20 June 2009 | Views [839]

Hola
So we are in Santa Marta and decide to head to Tayrona National Park then on to the lost city trek, we pack up our day pack, which is a mission in itself as we need to fit 10 days of clothes it it include beach wear and trekking gear.
we head to catch the bus, well more like a van. Get to the corner and its caos...a million vans going past...all yelling at us...none going to the park, not only that we seem to be the center of attention.....thanks blondie Bee aka white witch...someone finally lets us know that we need to go other side of markets...off we go, but half way through the market it turns into a meat market, a meat market in 30 degree heat, no refrigeration, just lumps of festering meat, mmm mmmm...bj starts gagging...bee just looks down and finds a way out....we take a wrong turn and end up on the machanics street...hmmm not blending in too well here. At this stage it had been an hour and not loving it...luckily we both could laugh about it and before u know a van comes past and yells Tayrona...we are on our way.
Get to the park and start our journey....a 2 hour walk to the beach where we are going to stay...well they said it was 2 hours. All excited at the beginning, watching ants, chasing chickens, talking to cows even saw a monkey....we then hit a dirt track and its not quite so easy....oh and then the rain begins and its been an hour and a half....hmmmm long story short it takes us 3 and a half hours on a dirt track but it was worth it...a beautiful beach...sifty people and some very comfy hammocks. First night make some friends with some Isreali guys...nice guys but so serious, couldnt quite understand the kiwi humor mostly because it involved taking the piss out of them.
Next day up bright and early for swimming and beach time...this pretty much covers the next 2 days along with afternoon naps in our hammocks...we meet some other cool people that night and it turns into the cliche backpackers sitting around the table, guy with a guitar having some beers....again the Isrealis get all serious so luckily we meet Diego...this awesome guy from USA, a surfer who entertained us for hours with his stories from living in NZ...
We had to meet our jeep for the lost city tour early...so was an early start and we had six days of treking ahead we decided to get these crazy little mules on the way back....back to the entrance of the park waiting and a little nervous about what was ahead...
 

About bee_beej


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.