Existing Member?

beavs on tour

Delhi

INDIA | Saturday, 30 November 2013 | Views [190]

Finally made it! Flight from Heathrow to Delhi was fine, plenty of tiny beers (with the warning ‘liqueur is injurious to your health’) slept for some and was sat next to an Indian man who was knocking back the tiny whiskeys so we got along fine. He gave me some hints and tips and told me bananas in England looked much nicer than ones in India (which they do).

Had arranged to get picked up by taxi through hostel was ridiculously excited in the car which didn’t go down well with the driver who was pretty grumpy but he perked up towards the end when he thought I might give him a tip (I didn’t). Arrived in Para Ganj and had the feeling that I would be spending the next few hours locked in my room because it looked like this (stolen someone else’s picture don’t think I actually took any). As I was getting out of the car someone popped out from an alleyway and took my bag without saying anything; slightly overwhelming but after a minute or so I saw a sign for the hostel so I decided India was going to be fine!

Unpacked a bit and did a few laps of the area the hostels in which turned out to be pretty easy to navigate, I think the lack of map and road signs was weirdly helpful because you just remember what everything looks like! Had arranged to meet  family friend once removed (never actually met them so thought that would be a good description) so made my way to the metro. Literally everyone stares or tries to talk to you, ignored nearly everyone but chatted to one guy who it turned out had met Michael Palin and some other random people (had the pictures to show for it). Got an invite to him and his brothers fancy holiday home somewhere in another state which looked banging but politely declined!

Eventually made it on to the metro, and got my first auto rickshaw which looks like this   costs about 50p or less a pop so pretty good but gotta make sure you haggle!

Had a lovely afternoon with Lucie and her baby Matilda, grassy lawns, clean quiet compound/flat and a costa! Was waved off in a rickshaw with a nice dinner recommendation but the auto driver took me so out of the way that I shouted at him and got out without paying. Idiot kept my bit of paper with address on so by the time I got back to the hostel I just asked them where I could buy beer. Within about 20 minutes two cold kingfishers arrived at my door so I had that and a bar of chocolate for dinner!! 

About beavs89


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.