Existing Member?

From Daegu to Cebu

Unexpected visitors and farewell to Panagsama

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 22 November 2009 | Views [484]

To cut a very long, tediously mundane story short- we’re leaving Panagsama tomorrow; for good this time. The flat turns out to be a complete disaster zone; teamed with a growing resentment for the place, we‘ve finally decided to call it a day here.

We both think that eventually this place would have grated on us; with most westerners being lecherous old men with Filipino women practically still in nappies, we hardly found the nightlife inspiring.

However, on a positive note- providence came to us in the shape of some familiar faces…

After settling down to a fish dinner and in a rather sour mood due to the realization that we’ve just taken out a two week rental on the house that jack built, we catch sight of our friends Rob and Mary from back home (who’ve also just finished a year in Korea) casually walking past. Astounded, we call them over- how random!

We have a good catch up over some beers and are decidedly in better moods. They inform us of their travels throughout the Visayas and already we are filled with hope- we’ve both agreed that we’ve been too stuck on Panagsama and should start Island hoping. 

The next couple of days are brilliant- we all go out for a snorkel along the “wall” (drop off) and see a turtle (Rob also sees a sea snake but doesn’t tell for fear of freaking us out)- it’s an amazing sight and it only gets better- we see so many fish- too many to name! We’re out for a good couple of hours and then spend the rest of the day playing cards and eating (hard life) at The last Filing Station (one of our fav restaurants in Panagasama).

We also decide to show Rob and Mary the delights of Kawasan Falls- jungle and waterfalls on three different levels; a short bus ride away.

Before we get the bus, we stop off in the market for some mangos and snacks. The bus journey takes around thirty minutes and is a rollercoaster, breathtaking ride- some of the coast line being exceptionally gorgeous. All the little villages that you pass look invitingly cosy, with many villagers waving and saying hello.

We get off the bus a little shaky from the ride but eagerly enter the jungle trek to the falls, politely declining the offer of a guide (and oddly some “ganja”).  

Stef and I visited the falls in January, so we’re pretty familiar with the route up to the top- where the falls spread out and there’s a natural Jacuzzi. I worry a little for Rob and Mary, as they only have flip flops to climb in and it can get very steep and slippy climbing to the top- but they both seem ok with it and we all agree to take it slow.  In fact Mary steams ahead, me following like some bow legged granddad in my more than comfortable trainers- wimp!

About an hour later, we finally reach the top fall area and notice a few Filipinos enjoying a swim in the bubble gum blue waters; we can’t wait to get in. We go straight to the natural Jacuzzi spot- dump our bags and stroll in- the water‘s freezing; the jungle shielding it from the suns view. 

We decide the Jacuzzi is a perfect place to eat our mangos and lychees; sticky fingers not being a problem here.

It’s unanimous; eating mangos in a natural Jacuzzi is the only way to do it.

Feeling pleasantly full, we swim about the waterfalls lake, jumping from large tree roots and generally frolicking about.  There’s still another two levels that we need to plunge into, so we make our way back through the jungle, still in our swim stuff, ready for the water.  There’s some difficult terrain to get through; extremely slippery stones, rocks and rickety bamboo bridges etc. Rob diligently does the whole trip back barefooted (he must have soles of iron or something), whilst I do my best granny impression, ever more cautious now my feet are wet.

Eventually, we manage to explore two of the waterfalls lakes. Whilst Rob and Mary swim under one of the falls, I just end up swallowing lots of water and making a hasty retreat- perhaps it’s all too much for my granny self to take :p

Overall a fantastic day ended by yet more rounds of Scabby Queen (where, I might add Mary shot the moon 3 times in a row- the hustler).  One thing’s for sure, seeing those guys has definitely inspired us to move on and see a bit more of the Philippines.

 We leave first thing on Monday morning (before posting yet another load of stuff back to Britain to lighten our rapidly increasing load) for Dumaguete, Negros Oriental. There’s an English run retreat there called Kokoo’s Nest which boasts a house reef; it comes highly recommended, so we thought we’d give it a go.

So, it’s farewell to Panagsama and back on the road for us…

 

 

About bear


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.