Existing Member?

From Daegu to Cebu

Shooting Stars

PHILIPPINES | Sunday, 22 November 2009 | Views [342]

Since we’ve been here our heads have been so taken with the underwater world of the reef, that we’ve not yet bothered to turn them to the sky. Well, last night was the exception… 

After a few San Miguel’s and listening to Stef’s infamous playlist, we take a breather outside our room at Tongo Point- the garden always alive with those infernal millipedes.  

However, last night I soon overlooked the millipedes; as I looked up, I noticed the most spectacular array of stars I’ve ever seen.

 We’re thunderstruck by their infinite numbers- there’s more stars than sky- utterly filling the heavens.  

 Quickly, we turn off all the porch lights, lay down on the grass and watch in awe as yet more stars materialize. Suddenly, we notice shooting stars darting across the galaxies- unforgettable. And as if to add to an already inspiring display, lightening from the other island illuminates the sky even further.

After gazing from the lawn we have an idea to climb the water tower to get an even closer look. 

Once up on the tower, we listen quietly to the sounds of bats, their wings beating all around us and every so often letting out one of those weird squeaks. One bat comes very close to my head as I stare up, counting up to four shooting stars now. I notice that the bats here are huge compared to the ones in Bali and Lombok and shudder as I watch its black wings glide past my view.

Stef and I both feel like we‘ve witnessed something special and are suddenly guilty at all our ranting about Tongo Point- after all ,what ‘s running water when you can have stars?

About bear


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.