Existing Member?

Tim & Charlotte’s World Adventures

Once upon a time....

FRANCE | Monday, 16 July 2012 | Views [47]

We were beginning to wonder if we would ever actually make it off the rock as the amount of sad and tearful goodbyes we had to do made it almost impossible. It is only when you start to say farewell that you realise how many loving family members and amazing friends that you have and just how much you are going to miss them. 

So our overland journey started with the obligatory Condor ferry to Saint Malo and for possibly the first time in the history of Condor, the boat was on time and we were funnelled through customs and onto the boat. This however was the most annoying time that Condor could have ever chosen to do this as our long suffering friends Lulu, Jon & Tim had showed up for a final farewell (and possibly to make sure we were really going). So during the hilarity of a long distance telephone goodbye from the ferry deck to the terminal, being lashed with wind and rain, the plan was hatched that the gang would have to come over to see us in France to say goodbye!

So I suspect a few of you might be wondering how it is that we left Jersey so long ago and still don't seem to have gotten very far on our travels, well fear not, it was always the plan to have a month at our parent’s house in France to prepare for our big adventure. We had hoped to have been relaxing in the sun in the garden, but as it rained for a good 75% of the time we were there we got to watch 24/7 coverage of the Olympics! We loved every single second of the Olympics and could not have been happier than to be snuggled on the sofa with two cats to watch the Team GB medals flooding in. 

During our time in Brittany we mainly hid from the world booking and planning our travels, gardening, cleaning and looking after two adorable cats. We did manage to squeeze in a few outings. We went to Carhaix Festival, apparently Brittany’s Glastonbury, which was good but I don’t think that Glasta’s has anything to worry about. There were jugs of wine, frites, galettes and some pretty awesome bands. The Cure, Sting, Baxter Dury, Bob Dylan and the mighty Kasabian. This festival would not have been possible were it not for Currie’s Cabs delivering and collecting us every day, thanks Jude! Next up was Fete Du Bruit, 1 hour 45 minutes away featuring The Stranglers, The Ting Tings and Miles Kane. So it was a no brainer that we had to go and check it out. Of course camping was out of the question so a motorway hotel served as the perfect base. This turned out to be the smallest festival in the whole of France, a bit like putting a stage and a bar in Howard Davis Park and calling it a festival. However The Stranglers were absolutely amazing and we squeezed our way to the front of the stage to rock out to Miles Kane, much to the disappointment of everyone around us. We have come to discover that in France people go to festivals to stand around and watch bands that they have never heard of whilst wearing earplugs and looking generally bemused and outraged at anyone who knows the words and is disturbing the peace by singing along. Needless to say we are not very popular at French festival and our arrival generally led to the mass use of earplugs!?! As if a pair of earplugs is going to keep out the sound of Tim!! 

So our time in Brittany ended with a visit from the gang. Lulu, Jon and Tim took on the Satnav and amazingly found us. Luckily the weekend was full of Sun, wine, cheese, a party on a pirate ship (dad’s balcony) and an impromptu 'game’ of corks. When I say ‘game’, there was wine, a cork, a candle and numerous black smears of everyone’s faces. The rules were insignificant but a great time was had by all and an ever greater hangover was had the next day. The problem with this was that it then lead to more goodbyes and more tears but it was an awesome way to start the official travels so thanks guys, LOVE YOU!!! X x x

Tags: france

About beansaroundtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.