Existing Member?

Fish: Catch The Energy

Escape to Fish Market is awesome

SOUTH KOREA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [201] | Scholarship Entry

Busan, the second largest city in South Korea after Seoul City. It is a modern, bustling, hectic, shiny, coastal, impressive and home to the largest fish market in South Korea, known as Jagalchi. I decided to visit it during my six-moth stay in South Korea to do short-term research in the area of medical tourism. I took a bullet train (a.k.a high speed train) from Seoul station headed to Busan station. It was for about 2 hours long and stopped at Busan Station as final station for the train I took. Afterwards, I continued my inner city trip by taking metro subway to Jagalchi station. Yes, it is the station where the largest fish market located.

I decided to stroll at Jagalchi Fish market because I wanted to see various kind of fish and king crab as well that I have never seen before in entire of my life. I was so amazed seeing plethora of ocean creatures showed at the Korea's largest fish market and I am not exaggerating when I say it goes forever. I don't think we even see every single stall. It was next to impossible.

Located near to the ocean, Jagalchi is flooded with not only fish but also people who sell and purchase the extraordinary ocean creatures.
Manned with mostly by women, the stalls sold fish that I have never seen before, piles of creatures whose names will forever escape me.

I like eating fish and seeing how fish are being traded in the market. In Jagalchi fish market, I tasted things exotic and fishy, sweet and spicy, with a few pieces of sea food through in for good measure.

To visit Busan, it's recommended to visiting it during spring season and bring some sun cream to protection to protect the skin from sun-burnt. It is also better to learn some basic Korean language to build relationship with the sellers and to succeed the negotiation when you purchase the things from the market.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About bataks_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.