Existing Member?

Discoveries of Utah

The salmon-colored labyrinth

USA | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [87] | Scholarship Entry

The car finally stopped. We were there.

That was quite a view. Tons and tons of bright red rocks coming out of the ground like tombstones in the dazzling Utah sun. Fiery Furnace definitely lived up to its name.

We entered this majestic labyrinth soon finding ourselves in one of its numberless slot canyons cobbled with sand and mountain lions footprints. We were moving slowly due to the canyon getting more narrow by the minute when we finally decided to go back thanks to a ridiculously big tarantula.

Fiery Furnace has a lot to offer. In addition to the labyrinth of slot canyons as well as sudden dead-ends, we hiked at length in a series of vast sandstone fins as quiet as a graveyard.

The hours passed as we decided to go to higher ground to get an overall view of the immensity of the surroundings.

The climb was hardly child’s play. There are no trails per se in Fiery Furnace. You need to find your own way in order to get to the top.

And boy did this take some time !

After many tries, we had finally found a way up. My companion was already waiting for me at the top as I tried to catch my breath.

And we saw it.

The breathtaking view we were given to contemplate was beyond our wildest dreams. By that time, we were so grubby and tired that we just decided to sit down. I must admit that I completely lost track of time. We admired the sight of this never-ending horizon for what seemed like an eternity. It was perfect.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About basile


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.