Existing Member?

Amazing Journey

AMAZING JOURNEY

GAMBIA | Sunday, 20 March 2011 | Views [399]

   Before the celebration had begun,I had far gone to the woods;far beyond the reached of the eyes of home;an unscented distance mama's gifted nose can't dare,and how fast it was covered appeared to be reverie.Darkest of nights at the edge of Sierra Leone,there laid I with open organs of sight in rows with merchants who were in the depth of sleep's belly,awaiting day break to wheel to Guinea.Much effort wasted in trying to blind the eyes like others and sip sweet dreams.So ascended I from my mat bed and set forth for few steps of walk around the border line,at least to learn weather the eyes could be pleased from the dark.

But before the past urgent six hours,I was home.I was in a joyful house graced by family,friends and love ones whose faces were smile consumed and hearts,bitterness free.There's charisma in the eyes of every one;That's what the eve of christmas use to bring.But accross villages,towns,rivers,forests and mountains of old,there I stood guided by giant trees and men in combat,listening to different choruses sang by birds and living leaves.'Yeah' said I to myself,after a long heart felted but serene sigh of breath;
           'This was what I've always desired;what my heart has always been pounding for.
            The unrelenting spirit that's wars within me.
            The spirit that kept me bored and took the sweetness of home away from my
             eyes.
            The same stubborn spirit whose enticing voice is as sweet as                         Indonesia's berry juice.  
            The spirit that says you have to;There's more outside these walls of               home  for thine eyes to see'
I took steps backward toward my mat bed and laid.Well satisfied with the idea of divorce with home;but to where in particular.that,I leaved as a burden in the shoulders of destiny.

      Day broke,and the long awaited morning revealed it significance.Guinea received me with a smile.It's amazing;It's christmass; but a peculiar one in a strange land.In a french speaking country,'Bonjour' was the only word I could  remembered,like back there in school when we use to have a virago for a teacher.In the midst of strange folks of strange faces and ethnicity,I spin the body once and showed the face the road where the tyres had come from to see if my beloved Lion Mountain is still visible,but it was no where to be seen.I had left it far behind.While standing at the motor park where the vehicle had dropped me,I realised  I was no more among the trees but among human beings.So I set loose my nerves and open up to flexibility;and in a twinkle of an eye,I noticed a smile taking over my lead face.

It was a busy day at Conakry. Every one was about his or her own movie;they don't hail Christmass.After a few munites of walking around the park,I took a vehicle for my next trip to Senegal.It was really amazing;I headed for places where I had no connections,no contacts,no relative, and no better information either.I was just consumed with the spirit of just diving.diving deep in to the earth and see what nature really looks like.I had seen Donkeys before,but not as many as I saw them on my way to Senegal.The way they were being treated was one sight I couldn't bear seeing.It reflected my icy mind back to the days of slavery.much passion for these animals I felt;I don't know why.For them to move faster,they had to hit them hard with sticks or with lion's ropes which I beleived was painful.They said Donkeys don't feel,but how come they reacts to the massage on their skin and move faster immediately they are given a chloroquine kiss.They have life and so do they feel,that I beleived.Few horses of value on the way,very attractive ones as if set aside for special marraige rites.There was a time when I felt like untop of one,riding me through.It was a Goliath bump that made me  realised I was in a vehicle,and not on an Horse's back.

    Fear overthrown my confidence for the first time since the Genesis of the journey at the sights of great mountains,mountains whose structures were fearsome.My nerves arose once again,but they were too weak to defeat the lion of an optimistic traveler's courage.The journey got deeper and deeper, and the vehicle kept moving.I was the only traveler in the vehicle  that couldn't speak french .So I reserved the energy of the mouth for the future and I kept on satisfying the eyes.Monkeys are some how united;climbing on each others back,hopping around as if playing hide and seek along the high way,at the edge of a thick forest.Some would even cross the road fast infront of the vehicle to the other side of the forest and so also does the the squirrel and other smaller animals.There was a point where we stopped towards a very big river,came down from the vehicle and walked into a ferry followed by the vehicle.We crossed over to the other side of the road,got into the vehicle and off and off we went.

         Admirations of nights and days;from the eyes,there's too much to say.Destiny took up it responsibility,and took the traveler to  The Gambia.But yet still,the traveler's thirst seem unquenchable.His red eyes,are still on the road.

Tags: on the road

 

About bakarr


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Gambia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.