Existing Member?

Chronicles of Holistic Experience

What is the purpose of a nomadic spirit?

THAILAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [211] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day that both of my legs were on opposite sides of a giant elephant head. Steering her through the bamboo jungle by her ears with my feet, in this moment, I confirmed that my threshold for adventure had just been reset. Before this point, I had never realized that elephants were hairy; that they had long, brisk whiskers all over their body that tickled when one was atop them. Although always a nomadic spirit, Thailand brought me to an epiphany. Enduring the putrid scents of Bangkok and relishing in the bewildering culture shock instantly expanded my perspective - I was a catapult into a new reality. From the beautiful children with handmade goods to the limbless people of all shapes and sizes dwelling on the sidewalks each and every glimpse of this world was simultaneously enlightening and imprisoning. The suggested method of avoidance was to abstain from eye contact and just keep walking; I just couldn't do it, I had to look, to smile and acknowledge at the very least. Initially I realized that the documentation of one’s travels, experiences, speculations and encounters is an expression of gratitude for the opportunity. Many of us tend to get accustomed to our independent realities, but exploring across seas and continents with an open mind, heart and free spirit, there’s much to share and more to learn. Writing, recording and keeping alive, the zeitgeist of the times is an invaluable and unprecedented method of exploration, conservation and revitalization of culture and human understanding. When exploring new realities, perspectives, existences, values, fears and treasures my spirit comes alive. This planet is full of beautiful people learning and growing through life - for those of us who can, for me at least, it is my duty to experience, learn, understand and share my international perspective to inspire those who feel inhibited and enable those who are unable. By researching current endeavors, experiences, initiatives and events that are synchronistic with these core values, one can seek them out, embrace and document them. I feel I can do my part in contributing to the greater good in the world; while creating a collective habitat that I am proud to live and thrive in.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About baileylalonde


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.