Existing Member?

Burn and Rise

Magical colour village

FRANCE | Tuesday, 6 May 2014 | Views [125] | Scholarship Entry

I am walking barefoot through the French hilltop surrounded by colorful houses. Each is in a different color of rainbow. Suddenly, from the bushes appears bearded man and says something in French, kisses me three times. He wounds a gasper and shades into the green branches.
The villagers live in monochromatic cabins. They also are walking around in monochrome clothes. The clothes are in the same color as the house the one sleeps. They do not change the color of clothing too often. I guess it is because that would mean they should also change the house.
I have come to the kitchen. Colourful young people are peeling vegetables and discussing how screwed up the modern social system is. They work hard every day to organize the festival, which will be one of the central events in the resistance to huge corporations that on behalf their own goals seek to intervene in natural order of small farms and peaceful rural life, contaminating rivers with oil and increasing the amount of cockroaches in collective consciousness. They want to show the world that there is more simple life possible,that we do not need all those industries in order to live happily.We are two girls hitchhikers arrived in the area to make money, to smoke joints with french gypsies, drink wine in the moonlight of the hill. We are like smart chameleons, we are drifting from one environment to another and we are welcomed here. In fact, we are local celebrities - two latvian girls who occasionally move through small winding roads.
We are girls from capital city depressed by gray everyday routine. We are looking for adventure, and we believe that it is possible to earn money by collecting onions in France to buy a computer and pay for the university semester. Onions turned lousy and hard work, as the sun burns attacked, the work was not regular and too often we had to count cents to buy chocolate and generally not very much cash was shining from all of this. So we stayed to collect the apples, which starts a little bit later after onions.
Once we decided to go to the waterfall for swimming, and at the same time used the opportunity to climb in the nearest hill to see the Buddhist temple. At that time, we met "colored people". And that is how it started. We are diligently engaging in organizing the festival, peeling vegetables, stretching branches from the forest and pretending to understand the discussion in French generally enjoying the life of freedom. This morning we have vegetables in breakfast.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About baibasondore


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.