Existing Member?

Baggy jeans diaries

Snow Sport University

USA | Monday, 14 April 2014 | Views [155] | Scholarship Entry

When the opportunity to go on a road trip to Vermont came up, there was no way the adventurer in me could resist. I had been in the USA barely 5 months and was thrilled at the opportunity to experience something different. After all, what better way to kick off the new year than by mastering (or at least bachelor-ing) a new skill? So off I went with family and a few friends for a week. We were staying at a ski resort called Smuggler's notch, up in Jeffersonville, Vermont. I had heard really great stories about this place, where most of my cousins had learned to ski.
Since I'd never skied before, I thought it wise to take a couple of lessons. After getting the right sized skis, boots and the works, I headed towards my first lesson. We were taught how to put on and take off our skis. The instructors then took us to a gentle slope to practice. (didn't feel so gentle at the time!) And thus began the story of endless falls. We were taken on a slope that opened out into a valley on one side. I think the reason I kept toppling over was because I was too scared I would fall down the valley. To my mind, it is better to fall on the ski slope than to fall into the valley. I also discovered all sorts of muscles in my body that I didn't know existed! Day 2 was a lot better. I learned to turn and was in control most of the time. My confidence kept growing with each run. As I was told by an instructor, skiing is 90% confidence and 10% skill. On this day, I actually started enjoying it. Day 3 was my first day skiing independently. I went on the green slopes a few times. It was an exhilarating experience. The view from the top was stunning and as I came down the slope, I got to see the mountains from a different perspective. The rest of my trip was great as I gained confidence and really started enjoying the sport.
During this ski trip, I saw plenty of examples of the indomitable spirit. I saw physically challenged and visually impaired persons being taught to ski. They were excellent examples of how not to let circumstances stop you. The confidence with which they conquered the slopes was inspiring. I saw examples of how having the right attitude can make all the difference. There were little kids who were extremely scared initially, but the instructors made sure they picked up and they were soon zooming down the mountains.
On the whole, I had an amazing experience. Learning a new skill does wonders to your confidence. I now feel like I can take on the world!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About baggyjeans


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.