Existing Member?

180 Days in Asia

Kathmandu NEPAL

NEPAL | Sunday, 10 August 2008 | Views [1290] | Comments [1]

UPDATE: Watch MY NEW movie release on YouTube : Conquest of Earth

Well, we made the trip ok to Kathmandu Nepal. We had lunch and are staying at the Kathmandu Guesthouse where the Beatles and others have stayed over the famous years..... wow is this place cool! Well we crashed and burned after the flight.... I still feel the altitude, hummmmm I wonder why? hehe it is kinda high up here......in Kathmandu.... so what to do now? We are going to have a looksee around the hood for a few days and wait for our minds to catch up with our bodies....hummmmmm

I will have a lot of photos..... I already have over 1K in 2 months from SE Asia and hope to start posting some soon.... so thanks for tuning in and keep looking for new postings/photos very soon......

Hey all! I'm back. Whew. Well to start with the photos will not be displayed here on this site as they automatically resize them before upload. I will let you know where to see them soon.

SOoooo. Gann and I both have been exploring Kathmandu. I rented a room as a home base. Yes, tv,computer and I have a balcony onto Darbar square. I am on the corner of Darbar square and "FREAK STREET". Kathmandu is so big....wow and almost a million people. The ancient Temples are amazing and emcompass the entire Darbar square area. See Google earth for Kathmandu and you can see pics of the areas (not mine yet) but I will be submitting some to google earth. I have met many local folks and have made many friends. Gann headed out for other areas of Nepal and I am still here waiting to get into Tibet. China should be opening up the borders again very soon as they closed them for the olympics.

The south side of Nepal in India is major flooding and millions are displaced. I will be going to India in early november.

There are festivals going on now for this month in Kathmandu. Traditional costumes and music, drums at 7am... ummmm good morning! There is a peace here that is shared by all. The power goes out a lot (routiine) and now due to the floods even more often about 16 hours a week now. So what so bad about candlelight dinners?

Oh, the rain,, the monsoons are here too and we have been lucky. As I walk the streets I see masks everywhere in shops and street stalls. OK, ya got me. I am studying them. They come various mountain tribes in Nepal, China and India. I am impressed to say the least. Oh yeas, they are manufactured for tourism. Well, not all of them are, some are for real and very old. I have done my homework. The sizes vary as most of the ancient ones are face sized but a few are huge about 4 feet tall. I am working on a catalog/ photos and history of all the ancient masks by country/areas.

It is raining this morning so I am enjoying a hot coffee in my room and writing this to you. I will find a place to post my pictures and let you know asap. Sorry for the delay. OK, I will see ya'll soon right back here with more so be good and be kind.

Hi all, it is friday 9/19 and it is a beautiful day in Nepal. I have been ill this week with food poisoning.....mannnn it hurt bad too. I hear it does not happen often here in Nepal as it does in other countries of asia but it does sometimes and it did to me. 0 energry and well I'll skip the painful details. What I would give for a cheeseburger from Paradise! I do miss them and yeas charlie my hot dogs! OH, if anyone wants some asian masks or anything, just email me and I can arrange it with shipping but do it quickly. I will be traveling again soon. Soooo anyway everything else is going well and I am having a great time in Nepal. I have met and made new friends from all over the world. Fellow Travelers and explorers of earth..... do come to Kathmandu as it is amazing. Oh, it is festival time in Kathmandu and it is awsome to say the least. Check it all out on Google earth. They have pics also. I hope to be adding pics also to google earth. So thats it for now so be cool and be good, the power that be is watching and takin notes.

UPDATE

OK, here we go.... the festival ended before it started. The Moaist government refused to pay for the festival event (they are communist and do not believe in GOD nor do they promote the Hindu religion). So as a result the demonstrations began immediately on the scene after the living GODDESS was boarded into her chariot for the parade. As the officials attempted to move the chariot they were threatened by immediate death (swords and knives)  if they attempted to move forward. It was then that they all attempted to resolve the problem in a private meeting. This did not accomplish anything so a demonstration began immediately. After a few hours it got out of hand and as 10K people were there the police called for assistance and well it was impossible to count them. This was a provocation to the people. Thus it began slowly to esculate into a massive confrontation between them all. It was sad to watch. The chanting, yelling and cries of hopelessness filled the dark night air with hate and despise for the government but the police were to take the brunt of the incident. All night long it lasted. I and all tourist were told to saty in our hotels until notified (for our safety). As morning arrived we were allowed to leave the hotel for breakfast closeby. I was returning to my hotel and observed all the vendors on the square packing up at about noon. The the crowds really arrived in masses. After much chanting and screaming at the police to leave (they refused) the fights began with the police being the target. The police responded with night clubs. The crowd rushed to the ticket offices for Durbar square and began kicking them and beating them with stones. eventually as the police stood by watching the people tore down the booths, drug them to the corner area and burned them. Thats when the police interviened again and the fights were on. It was horrible to watch the beatings by the police and the people smashing the police with bricks, rocks and anything they could, even signs out front of businesses. I had been video taping the whole incident from my hotel balcony. I got hit twice by flying bricks (nothing serious) and kept taping. It was unbelievable. Many people were injured by the police and visa versa. Now I know what they meaqn when they say....I witness news in the making. I do. It is about 3:30pm now and the police have control somewhat. Whew. I fear the worse has yet to come. The people are fighting the government (communist) for their religious and civil rights and they will no longer succumb to a Moaist communistic government or religious harrassment. It will esculate even more now I am afraid to say but it is inevitable. Stay tuned for more later for more BREAKING NEWS.

09/24/08 Wed UPDate

Well, things have happened since the last update for sure. A meeting took place to resolve the issues that started this event. The problem was....the Maoist government met the with local (KMD) moaist group. They did not invite ther Nepalis whom it concerned. Doh...so the problems continued. From this point on I am not sure what was decided or done except that the police were still everywhere trying to maintain peaceful conduct. It is wednesday am now and all seems to be getting back to a routine for the Napoli people. I have not witnessed any further violence in the last two days. whew. I am still amazed that there has not been any news (BBC or CNN Asia)on this story. It is a new world when the free press is controled and censored. The Nepal newspapers and TV did cover the incidents. Nothng outside Nepal was made. Hummm.

Well I guess this is just the way it is now.

It is wednesday and raining. I have sought out the travel agencies for a short trip to China/TIBET and discovered new rules and policies....now tourists can only fly there and return by tourist cars for a whopping $2K us. WOOOO ok forget it. I will just go on across India. OK, thats it for now so be cool and good until the next blog entry. 

Sat 09/27/08 Update 

Well its a beautiful day in Kathmandu! The riots are over but the strikes are continuing. The strikes are not related to the Riot event. The strikes are because the government has ordered the closing of all resturants at 9pm and the bars at 11pm. How can anyone party? Doh! well the government says it will prevent crime. The losses of income are irrelvant for the businesses or VAT. Ah yeas BBC came and did a story on the strikes and not a word of the riots....go figure. Way to go BBC. At least they showed up which is more than CNN did.

Gee I just heard on the news...CNN doh! In INDIA it is now against the law.....to smoke in public. They were not specific as to what you smoke. Humm, I guess it is open to smoker intrepretation. hehe. OK fine.

Soooooooo....guess smoking causes all that smog and polution in India. Welcome to the new world order on Earth. That should certainly clean the air out just like it has in the USA. We will see how this flys with the people there, soon I am sure.

10/05/08 Sun

Hi all! Thanks for tuning back in. Well I have been to most of the temples now and festivals..... nice. OH, THE RIOTS ARE OVER AND THE STRIKES TOO. For now anyway. All is good here in Kathmandu and I had some free time soI finally finished part one of my new movie. It is titled "Conquest of Earth" so feel free to watch it and my Morphman series. Well it is time for Bfast and then shopping till I drop.....literally. SO I go now and say adew until we meet again.....here. 

Ok ya'll I got places to go and

things to see....SEA-y soon

With love from Kathmandu 

BRay

 

Comments

1

All trip photos are added now in the galleries.

  b_ray Sep 7, 2008 1:08 PM

About b_ray


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.