Existing Member?

A diamond in the Balkans

Kosovo

KOSOVO | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [149] | Scholarship Entry

Think of Kosovo, and you probably think of war. Either that, or you've never heard of it at all. For me, Kosovo is home. It is where my family originates and where many of them still live, and it is where I have spent every summer since it became safe to return after the war. I have seen and experienced Kosovo at various stages of its history -- from the tense country it was when my family fled from war, to the bright and hopeful place it became after its declaration of independence 7 years ago.

Kosovo is a tiny country with a small -- and very young -- population, but it has so much to offer. The fact that it is still seen as a war-zone through the eyes of so many is a pity -- just last year, I met an Austrian student in a cafe in the capital city, Prishtina, and, by chance, we got talking. I was intrigued by his decision to choose Kosovo, of all places, as somewhere to work over the summer. He said he'd mainly been drawn by the chance to live somewhere completely different for a few months. Jokingly, he said that his friends had warned him to wear a bulletproof vest when he arrived!

Despite its turbulent history, Kosovo has metaphorically picked itself up and dusted itself off -- though of course scars still remain. In the process of healing, both Kosovo and its people have developed a very unique character. Reminders of the war are still painfully obvious -- even now, almost two decades on, houses that were partly burnt down have been abandoned and sit empty and devoid of life in some towns. Yet Kosovo continues to thrive. Prishtina is famous for its youthful 'cafe culture' -- bars and cafes are packed with young people both during the day and in the evenings, and with 50 cent macchiatos and 3 euro glasses of wine, it's not hard to see how why there's such a buzz in the town and so much nightlife.

Venture outside the cities and you find beautiful, unspoiled nature -- the Rugova mountains are majestic, and increasingly popular with hikers; Germia national park and Brezovica ski resort are both beautiful; Badovc and Batlava are just two of the incredible lakes and Drini i Bardh and Mirusha two of the waterfalls. At the heart of what makes Kosovo truly unique, however, is its people and their hospitality. Exploring the smaller towns and villages, you inevitably meet people who are more than willing to invite you into their home, share their food, and show you their country and traditions. It is this hospitality for which Kosovo is famous.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About aworldofmyown


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kosovo

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.