Existing Member?

Just Student's Trip Notes

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 8 April 2012 | Views [331] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

Have you ever visited Java, Indonesia?

Java is divided into three sections: West Java, Central Java and East Java. Currently I live in the Central Java, more precisely in Jogjakarta. Jogjakarta is a place where many cultures of Indonesia and the world exist. Students who are in the majority come from outside Jogjakarta, from another cities in Indonesia and even from overseas. Some time ago I attended a prestigious university entrance tests in Jogjakarta and finally accepted and was the first time I have been to Yogyakarta.

Jogjakarta residents have a unique way to sell food. Here there are a lot of "Angkringan" (a place to eat in a large wagon). The food served in Angkringan is "Nasi Kucing" (Cat Rice in English - it called this because it has little portion size, such as cat servings), and some snacks and side dishes to complement Cat Rice, and the drinks served are coffee, tea and mineral water. When I tried the food and beverages served at the angkringan, there are certain flavors that got me hooked, especially the drinks. Beverages served at the angkringan cooked using charcoal, so that when the sugar put in coffee or tea, slightly bitter taste of tea or coffee is really delicious mixed with sugar, and certainly not free from a fragrant aroma. Of course, you must try drinks like the way the presentation of this truly distinctive.

One more food from Jogjakarta that I recommend you to try: Gudeg. Gudeg are made from coconut, jackfruit and some other spices that taste sweet. Yes! sweet taste. Not only Gudeg has sweet taste in Jogjakarta, other food served at the angkringan, almost of them are served sweet.


Based on how the presentation and taste like the population of Jogjakarta, we can find that here culture closely with courtesy, friendliness, and respect. And proved to me a few months after this, Jogjakarta is a safe and comfortable place for people overseas, especially those that have a purpose for learning.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

Comments

1

You have 32 commnets :

1. Cat servings??? How Mean :/ (I admit its better naming it "cat servings" than "cat food")
2. 3 - 31 xD
32. The folk use sugar in their cooking to substitue it with MSG. Because MSG made form cane extract (in Indonesian :: ekstrak tebu) and plus sugar is more safe to digested than MSG.

  nganonym Apr 8, 2012 7:34 PM

2

ashar mendului gue -,-a

  sekar Apr 29, 2012 11:45 AM

About aviezabpaper

Me and My Research Partner

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.