Existing Member?

Near and Far

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 23 February 2012 | Views [206] | Scholarship Entry

The best thing about having an African as a boyfriend ? I get to experience a culture that I never thought I would! Everytime I walk into my mother- in-laws kitchen, the smell of exotic food hits me in a way that makes my stomach rumble, even if I had already eaten 30 minutes beforehand.
The aromas that float out of the pot and around the room, engage all of my senses and force me to give in to the temptation and I'm not the only one!
There is something about African cooking that brings people together. Whenever there is a holiday, a weekend or a birthday, there is food and there are people enjoying that food.
The way they cook their food is like they are telling a story.
They add the right spices in the right quantities, but they never measure. They can tell how long to cook for although they have no clock and they know how to prepare enough food for every single person who is visiting without knowing how many were coming. They know what to use and how to cook it and they source all their ingredients from nature.
To put it simply, Africans cook as they live.
Carefree, lovingly and without prejudice.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About australia


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.