Existing Member?

Travel is the greatest experiece in life!

History is beautiful to learn

IRELAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [774] | Scholarship Entry

I will never forget the day that I said goodbye to the most beautiful country I have ever visited, Ireland. It was 2012 and I set out by myself to do an 8 day Contiki tour.
After 36 hours I was in Dublin! I dropped my bags at the hotel set out to explore this beautiful city. I wandered through the streets and alleyways of Dublin. The history amazed me, the people were nice everywhere I went and it blew me away that it was still daylight at 10pm!
Next afternoon I met with my Contiki tour group. It started off with dinner followed by a bus ride where we were shown Trinity College, pubs opened since 1108, the famous Temple Bar and Liffey River which runs through the city centre. The night ended with a pint of Guinness from a local pub.
Next stop was Belfast. We had a guided tour and were shown the affects that have come from a city divided by Catholic and Protestant populations. After lunch we stopped at the Giants Causeway!
Next morning we did a walking tour of Londonderry we learnt about the troubled pasts and dividing of Northern and Southern Ireland! That afternoon in Galway we had free time to go explore Galway City!
Next morning we caught a ferry to the Aran Islands. You have the choice of seeing it by Horse and Carriage, bus or bicycle. A man named Paddy and his horse named Brownie showed us around the island! We got to see gorgeous beaches, a leprechaun house and walked 1km to a forte that overlooked the ocean with breathtaking views!
Next stop; The Cliffs of Moher. The views are simply amazing! Onto the Blarney Castle where you walk through the beautifully kept gardens to the castle. Once you reach the top you have the chance to kiss the Blarney Stone. Next stop; Cork.
Next stop; Cobh which was the last port of call for the Titanic. We visited an exhibition museum that has parts of the titanic and some of the furniture from the ship! Next was Tipperary where the Cashel Castle and the Rock of Cashel is. We stopped in at Middleton and did a tour of the Jameson Whiskey Distillery. Then onto Kilkenny we did a walking tour with a guide named Paddy which ended at a pub named Kitler’s Inn which is from 1324.
Final day; back to Dublin to have “Guinness for breakfast” which was a tour of the Guinness brewery. Who knew it takes TWO MINUTES to pour the perfect pint of Guinness? The top of the brewery gives a 360 degree view of Dublin. Dinner was at Merry Ploughboys where we were entertained by Irish band and dancers.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About aussieanrahs


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.