Existing Member?

On the Road

Damn that jetlag...

CHILE | Sunday, 27 November 2005 | Views [934] | Comments [1]

Well, I´d heard that jetlag was bad but I didnt realise just how bloody annoying it really was!

The flight from Brisbane to Auckland was pretty uneventful - couple of whiskys, hideous airplane food but other than that it wasnt so bad. It started to turn sour when I looked out the window and noticed that it just wasnt getting dark. We were flying and flying into the eternal light. It was about 6pm when they turned the lights out in the cabin and I thought - is that it? are we supposed to sleep now? Added to that was the fact that Rod had had to do an amazing amount of assignments up until the very moment that he boarded his flight to Sydney on Sunday night. So when Rod said to me "I dont think you´ve ever seen me drunk before, like I mean really drunk" I started to get a little concerned. After the stewardess said to us, "dont turn the light on any time you want anything just come out the back and get it yourself" it was just open slather. Rod was getting up every ten minutes "to go to the toilet" and came back with more whiskey´s and peanuts. It was hilarious - but possibly the best way to try to pass out on a 14 hour flight (the valiums helped - thanks Rosie!)

When we arrived in Santiago, the first thing we saw after getting out of the airport was a massive sign advertising a Pearl Jam concert - the first time they were in Chile! Rod and I looked at each other and were just like sweet! How awesome is that? So the next day we trauled Santiago, looking for the ticket vendor - trying to find some tickets to this concert. Everywhere we went they told us sold out, sold out. NOt one to be disheartened, I thought we could just hang outside the venue and someone will be scalping tickets. So after a huge day of looking for the seats we thought we´ll just have a small nap and get up at 7:30 to get there really early. We woke up at 2am and thought damn! We hadnt counted on the jet lag. I have never been so distraught in my life!! Bloody JETLAG!! It was compounded the next day when we met a nice Venuzeulan fellow who told us the highlight of his trip to Santiago was seeing PEarl Jam the night before - you know one of those unforgettable moments. But its all good - Ricky Martin is here as well so maybe we can see him instead.

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

As an independant and impartial observer I would like to set the record straight. I was lucky enough to sit near this odd-couple on the plane and would like to inform sylvia´s dedicated readers that there has been some embelishment of the facts on her behalf...... but i guess if you know her well this will come as no surprise. A lifetime dedicated to an appreciation of day time soapies and western media have given her a gift for drama and spin. No extreme propagnda or anything of the sort but more the tendancy to add a splash of colour to liven her stories...... for the benefit of her readers interests of course. It does however concern me that as unintentional as it may have been, her comments have nevertheless besmirched the name of the fine young companion she was with. Rodrigo´s behaviour on the flight to chile was nothing short of exemplory and becoming of a young man acting in a pseudo-ambassador capacity for his country. At no material time was there excessive amounts of whisky being consumed or unessesary bothering of airline staff with inappropriate requests for more peanuts. If anything, moderation and exhaustion would best describe the nature of his demenour and actions. If valium or other such sedatives were consumed i raise doubts as to whether they would have been knowingly ingested and instead cast suspicions on the intentions of his rougue companion in spiking his drink. So.....to take her future stories at face value or with a grain of salt, I´ll let you decide.... but the stance of this anonymous and objective observer is clear, watch that what comes out from her mouth is not from the rear.

  anonymous Nov 27, 2005 5:50 AM

About aussie_gringo

Just Sylvia

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.