Existing Member?

Back to being me

EuroAfro-bound

USA | Friday, 23 May 2008 | Views [254]

Hello, hello! Greetings from Evora, Protugal, on Europeland!!

I´m sorry that I have been so out of touch lately. In a nutshell, I have started a new job 3 months ago in the DC area. It did not work. After about 100 resumes and 2 interviews, I landed the position that I had wanted all along, a position that is considered a promotion for me. The best part is I now have about 5 weeks in between the two jobs to travel. In a country where most folks get about 2 weeks of vacation per year, I donºt think I will ever get this stretch of time to explore again.

So Iºm trying this WorldNomad journal thing now. From the "nomad" (little person) symbol, you can see where in the world I am throughout my journey.

Today marks the 5th full day I am in Portugal. I flew into Lisboa (Lisbon) from London and made my way east after 2 days. I think Lisboa is known for its port, but what I have enjoyed the most thus far are the people and the architecture. The buildings are decorated with a bunch of tiles called azulejos, which are tiles that are traditionally painted in blue. The cool thing is that most of the street signs and signs for restaurants are posted in such tiles. I will attempt to show some of this in the pictures. These azulejos come in all sorts of variety and the bigger ones are murals that depict times from the old days.

I was surprised the extent to which I can get by with Spanish. I have picked up some Portugese words along the way, of utmost importance, of course are the words for gummy candy, "No I am not Japanese",

 

About aubreylau


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.