Existing Member?

Get Busy Living

2 Weeks From Departure

USA | Monday, 15 December 2014 | Views [270]

December 14, 2014

Our departure date is approaching quickly. All of the planning and preparations will soon be put to the test of the actual adventure. There is a constant voice in my head questioning, "Have you done everything possible to ensure a problem-free trip?". And no matter the amount of times I check (and recheck) the details of my preparations, this internal inquisitor cannot be muted. 

This trip will entail a unique challenge due to the difficult language barrier we will face in the region. I have attempted to learn a few basic Mandarin phrases, however, I cannot possibly learn enough conversational weapons for all the countries we will be facing. I have come to terms with the fact that I will be incorporating the "point and nod" strategy a great deal over our three week trek. And, as always, the most precious communication tool a foreign traveller possesses is a polite smile. 

So the next two weeks will undoubtedly be filled with frantic internet researching and email sending. It feels as though I am studying for my college finals. I am sure that I understand/comprehend the content; but there is always the worry that the test may contain a question/topic that I am not prepared for. But that just adds to the excitement of the adventure. Right?

Tags: preparations

 

About atlien


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.