Existing Member?

Notes From a Small Island Less than a year after returning from the Peace Corps, I'm going back to seek employment and to tie up loose ends left by the evacuation in May of '06. This blog will include my thoughts on East Timor, the worlds newest nation, and possibly a few first attempts at coherent travel writing.

Soon to be departed

TIMOR-LESTE | Wednesday, 10 January 2007 | Views [605]

I'm leaving tomorrow morning.  I've packed (more books than clothes), cut my hair in preparation for the job search, and am now in the 'dash around to do all the last minute stuff' phase.  I've barely stopped running all day.  I'm still excited, still ready to go.  My itenerary must have been formulated by some enemy, hellbent on my destruction, though it has a few good points like spending a day in LA with Randy and a couple more on the beach in Bali.  I still have a few more people to see, and a few more last minute items to find places for in the luggage, but the preparations don't seem quite as foreboding as they did yesterday.

Though the last few days have been hectic to say the least, it's a good time for me to go.  I'll just miss a big winter storm that's supposed to hit shortly after I leave, which means no delays and unlimited bragging rights as most of the state searches for their snow shovels.  I'm eating tacos for dinner tonight and again with Randy in LA tomorrow.  If I have one regret about leaving, it's the grievous shortage of Mexican food in East Timor.  I'm stocking up well before I leave, so I suppose I'll survive.  A few people have asked me to post a list of things to send, so I'll be sure to put that up when the situation really sinks in. 

Thanks to everyone who has helped me in so many ways.  The employment, encouragement, and money for airport food are all well appreciated.  It's been great to see everyone over the last few months, but it's time for me to go and do what I love to do.  Another adventure was definately in the cards.  Thanks again to everyone who's helped, and watch for another post from Dili next week.

Tags: The Planning Phase

About atauro_oan


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Timor-Leste

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.