Existing Member?

"As a woman my country is the whole world."

Chasing my dreams through thick and thin

USA | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [163] | Scholarship Entry

“The best way to predict the future is to create it.” Immediately upon reading this, a rash of wild thoughts flooded my brain.
I emerged from the cave I called home and slowly dragged my heavy suitcase behind me as I was desperately trying to close the door. That was the beginning of an adventure, one that would last a lifetime. There I was – like a sailor in the middle of the sea trying to steer my boat in the right direction of life. Little did I know at the time that my life would be a series of exciting encounters with people from all walks of life. Clutching my tickets in one hand I knew where I was headed. Holding tightly onto the suitcase handle as if somebody was going to snatch it out of my hand any second, I had no idea where I was going to stay once I reached my final destination. But that wasn’t important as I loved adventures and this one was certainly thrilling. The thrill of going to a different place halfway through the world was what kept me going. I was in good spirits despite my pending situation. I took the train to the capital and managed to get myself to the Central train station. I had to walk to the bus stop and wait for bus #88. Last one for the night. It was packed – no seats left, just people. Lots of sweaty, deranged people yearning for an escape from the awful bus #88. What a bus. The trip was only half an hour long but it was enough to drive you insane. And just when I thought I was going to lose my mind, the bus opened its squeaky doors and let me and the frenzied crowd out like a vicious pack of wolves. I had successfully made it to the airport.
Seven hours later, I was on my way to the United States of America! America, the New World, yet I was going to one of the most historical cities. Washington DC – the capital and the home of the Smithsonian Institution, the world’s largest museum. I was off on a 9-hour flight trying to ignore the Russian and the American lady sitting next to me. 1 hour, 2 hours,3, 4… I could feel my heart beat faster and faster as the hours haltingly passed by… At last, at last! I was at Washington DC International airport! I had no place to stay, no money for a hotel. I started frantically searching for a Wi Fi connection when suddenly my eyes gravitated to the sight of the colossal airport and a light bulb went off in my badly in need of a shelter mind. The airport.The airport was my home and the hard as a rock seat was my bed. I was going after my dreams and that’s all that mattered.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About asya


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.