Existing Member?

Solo Trip

Take Off

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 17 July 2015 | Views [198]

So very early on Saturday morning the 11th of July 2015 I was re-organising everything to fit in my backpack. I was trying to decide what wasn't absolutely essential for my trip. When I felt like I had the minimal amount I try on my backpack, feel the weight, take it off and go through the process yet again. I come to the realisation that I'm going to have to accept that I will get carrying a heavy load. On the way to the airport, along with my parents and a family friend, what appears to be a frosty day, the sun slowly comes out and promises a beautiful sunny day. 

We arrived in good time to ensure the checklist is ticked off.  Checked in - tick, American cash - tick, Water - tick, saying goodbye to mum and dad - that was a hard tick. In the last few moments at the airport mum and dad were continuing to do what they had done the whole way in preparation for my trip, helping in any way that they could. It made things so much easier for me and honestly, I don't think i could ask for more supportive parents. 

When we got to the section that permits entry to passengers only, I turn and say my final 'goodbyes' and 'love yous' i can feel I'm starting to tear up so I head straight for the gate, I hear mum yell behind me 'you can come back anytime darling'

I get through customs after having to be checked twice and stressed as I lose sight of my cash and iPad on the scanning roller on the other end. I get back to my things and I'm relieved. I line up and take my seat on the plane. I find that I'm seated on the isle seat next to a lovely woman who was returning to Boston on a work trip. She had taken many international flights and said I could ask her any questions i may have had. The thirteen and a half hour flight was okay. I think I watched 3 movies, lots of to shows and listened to a lot of music. Despite having a pillow, earplugs and eyemask, I couldn't sleep a wink. 

I arrived in Los Angeles airport at 6am on Saturday the 11th July. About midnight back at home.

 

About aspeirs


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.