Existing Member?

Oh, the Places You'll Go

10 Days in Cape Town, South Africa

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 21 April 2015 | Views [287] | Scholarship Entry

Last week: Cape Town, South Africa - quite possibly the most amazing place I have ever been. The energy and soul of this city is ever present and ever moving. The people, I mean, are diverse and passionate and lively. The physical beauty is so ethereal and energetic, and all encompassing - from table mountain and the surrounding peaks to the white sand paradise beaches with icy cold waters, the feeling of being at the very end of a continent is overwhelming. The way the city is situated between enormous unbreakable rock and the very dust of rock, ensures that you never want to leave. It feels as if you are just a tiny speck in this enormous place, that everything is so much bigger than you. And you're not quite sure if that's good or bad. Even though Dr. Seuss said "kid, you'll move mountains!" In reality, it was the mountains that moved me. We stayed at Long Street Backpackers, a centrally located hostel in the Bo-Kaap section of town. We were mere kilometers from the base of table mountain and three blocks from the botanical gardens - beautiful for morning runs. Long Street offers cheap to high priced food options, diverse and highly decorated bars to clubs to raves. Bob's had 16 rand breakfast, the Burger Place offered a cheap but fresh grilled chicken sandwich and Bollywood Cafe stayed open till 4:30am. The Beer Garden had some amazing draft and crafts and Mexican served a great Bloody Mary at noon. But it wasn't even the food or drinks that did it. It was the atmosphere and the people at LSB - the balcony mornings and nights, the life stories and laughs and adventures shared at the oddest hours but the most convenient times. The coffees in the market and hair wraps for free. The table top picnic lunches with brand new best friends. The bar-tending acquaintance that told you some real shit which you agreed with wholeheartedly - though he may never know that. Or meeting a stranger from Zanzibar, with whom you have approximately ten mutual friends. To days spent with university friends and Mizoli's Braai with meat and beers and hookah, and learning Congolese by mixing my French and Swahili. Cape Town is unexpected and marvelous. It is twisting and turning and curving and living. It is overwhelming and forces you to double- and triple-take. And I promise you, you'll love what you see and you'll be amazed at how free you'll be.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About askeltz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.