Existing Member?

One day in Southeast Asia

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [205] | Scholarship Entry

How can culture be connected with food? Some people would give a negative answer ”no”, explaining it that food only gives taste and smell. As for me I will give a positive answer. I can describe my real story from my life. I am a student of the University of World Economy and Diplomacy and in our university after first course every student should choose the second language. I have chosen Japanese as my second language but my roommate's second language was Korean. During the lessons we are taught the culture of the country as well. One day after lessons we went to the dormitory together with my roommate and she told me that at second language lesson they made kimbap national food of Korea at the same time at Japanese lesson we made maki sushi. We came to our room with impressions of that day lessons and we showed each other what we did at the lesson as we brought with us some maki sushi and kimbap. When we put at the table the meal each other’s it was the same food. We were surprised by seeing them, because the shape, the color were the same even the ingredients. Then we ate them, you don’t believe the taste was quietly different. And we told the receipt each other to concrete what is the secret of it. Because kimbap was sweeter but maki sushi was bitter. The reasons of these were that rice in kimbap was not put vinegar like in to maki sushi. Because the Korean people like to eat with bitter salad . In Korea the weather is wet and people living there eat bitter food like salad with kimbap. But in Japan maki sushi is bitter not sweet like Korean food. The reason bitter of maki sushi is that Japanese people like eat their food with sea meals. In our country eat some food by hand for instance, palov and manty, because our ancestor said that eating such kind of food by hand is sweeter than eating by spoon. The older person must begin the first than the other person may continue to eating. It means respect towards to elder people and this is our tradition.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About asia


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.