Existing Member?

A WORLD of Opportunities I will be volunteering with the Northern Hill tribes in Thailand for two weeks and then will be traveling to Cambodia and Vietnam, to visit my sis!

Caves

THAILAND | Wednesday, 14 May 2008 | Views [361]

On Tuesday all of the volunteers taught English in the morning then we took the afternoon off to explore the caves that surround Mae Sai. We hired a Song Tao (a red truck that eveyone piles into the the back of it). We had to bring our own flashlights because there are not any guides that take you on a tour, you are pretty much on your own. It is crazy how they do not have any safety regulations! They just let you walk into the caves and climb over the rocks and feel your way through the deep entry ways! As we were climbing you could hear the bats flying above! It felt like something from a scary movie! The deeper we went into the caves the more we started to second guess our routes! We also began to worry about our batteries in our flashlights as they seemed to be getting dim. After a few akward climbs we found ourselves in a chamber filled with crystals! It was gorgeous! We took a few photos but of course they did not do it justice.

Once we managed to find the exit we jumped into the song tao to head to the national park to explore a few more caves. The heat was intense as we climbed up the massive mountains! I have to admit I was begining to think that I wouldn't make it. I went to put my hand on a mossy rock to gain my balance and found dead animal skull staring back at me! Need less to say I did not take this well! I let out a bit of a scream and the others came running! We definitely had a good laugh about it!

We then ended the day by heading back to Na Na Buffet for showers and a relaxing evening. All in all it was a good day!

About ashleynicholesmith


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.