Existing Member?

Asami the Explorer Follow along with me during my 64 days in Japan, Thailand, Hong Kong, Laos and Vietnam

Day ? (Day 1 in Bangkok): Japan to Bangkok

THAILAND | Friday, 30 October 2009 | Views [442]

(I have to start by saying that I just lost about 30 min of typing because the Internet Cafe system suddenly cut me off when I was ending my 60 min mark.  I am VERY GRUMPY about it.  The good news for you is that I will probably be much more concise that I was before now that I have to type all of that again.  I type about 90wpm x 30 min = 2700 words.  UGH)

Highlights:

1.  Lowlights actually -- saying goodbye to my grandma and my Aunt Kiko-chan; hauling an ungodly amount of luggage from cab to train to another train to airport; saying goodbye to Hutch and Missy

2.  Best airport food ever -- sushi from the Tsukiji market, even though I had to inhale it all in less than 15 min so as to not miss my flight

3.  The Taking of Pelham 123 -- oh how I miss New York City, and how amazing is Denzel Washington!?

4.  Finding familiar places from my 2006 Thailand trip


Okay, I am over it -- no longer grumpy!

I am not good at goodbyes.  You guys may know that I am a big crybaby -- whenever my emotions get too intense, HUGE tears come pouring out and I just can't help it.  As my mom and I were packing at Aunt Kiko-chan's house, my mom gave my grandma a call to say goodbye.  She gave me the phone, and my grandma told me again how much she enjoyed seeing me and the tears started flowing.  I'm crying typing this in the Internet Cafe too.  Then Kiko-chan joined us on the cab ride to Shin-Kobe station for us to catch the Shinkansen (bullet train) and she looked so sad.  She said that she knows dinner will be SO QUIET without me and my mom there.  We had such a good time, but the end is always so sad.

Though we were blessed with sunny weather, it was too hazy for me to get a good picture of Mt. Fuji from the Shinkansen.  I got a glimpse of the snow capped peak through the clouds, but the pictures are going to be disappointing compared to the postcards we've all seen...

We met up with Hutch at the Narita Express (we had to transfer trains) before heading to Narita Airport, and my last Japanese meal was the most amazing airport food I've ever had, sushi from the Tsukiji Market again!  Too bad I had to inhale it in less than 15 minutes because Missy took FOREVER to pick out omiyage for her friends at home.  Omiyage is a gift that Japanese people buy -- when going to someone's house, when they return from vacation, etc.  It's a never-ending obligatory ritual that keeps the Japanese economy going at a healthy clip, and we saw this at every tourist shop we saw on our travels.  Narita is no exception, and Missy was feeling overwhelmed and was paralyzed by the options.  I also think she *might* have been freaking out about me going off to wander SE Asia for 7 weeks (I can't imagine why?).

My flight from Tokyo to Bangkok was 7 hours.  Doesn't that seem like a really long time!?  I know I've done it before, but geez, that's a LONG flight.  I got to see The Taking of Pelham 123 (highly recommended!) and I was squirming in my seat for my love of NYC and Denzel Washington.  I knew I would miss it, but watching that movie made me so nostalgic for New York.  It will be worse when I get back to Chicago, I'm sure.  But that's not til mid-Jan...

I sat next to a Thai mom and daughter, and I swear I thought she was the big sister.  They were all blinged out, she with her Coach handbag/velvet shift/textured tights/fur-trimmed booties and her daughter in Diesel jeans and Gucci handbag, so I figured that they are super wealthy (and they're not fakes either, because it's illegal in Japan to have fakes and they will get confiscated upon entry).  She told me that they were in Tokyo to visit Disneyland (which is even expensive by Japanese standards).  I tried to get some suggestions on where I can get my hair cut and colored at the end of my trip, but the language barrier prevented me from scoring a good lead.

Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) claims to be the largest airport in the world.  This is not the same BKK that I flew in/out of in 2006, as it is brand new.  It is an uber modern and impressive structure, but probably better appreciated by those who do not decide to carry 7 weeks' worth of stuff on one's back and in their arms.  I felt like I walked at least a mile from the plane to the taxi stand, and I was drenched with sweat before I even exited the airport.

I had another chatty cab driver -- those of you who remember my last Thailand trip remember that I had a Beatles medley singing session with a Thai cab driver, and this one was just as colorful (but no singing this time).  He spoke English very well, and started with the standard questions:

1.  Where are you from?

2.  Are you married?  How old are you?

3.  Why are you traveling alone?

He wasn't even the first one to ask me those questions, because Ms. Moneybags already asked.  And yes, both of them thought I was Thai.  It's really a compliment, as I read somewhere that people often think that their own nationality is the most beautiful.  I always laugh and say, but people from your country don't have such big bags like I do! I also read that it's not rude for them to ask these questions, even though Americans would probably NEVER ask #2 until further into the conversation.  So I don't take offense.  These two also asked me why I'm going to Khao San Road -- they said they don't understand what the farang (foreigners) like about it, so I told them that it's convenient to alot of things we like, and it's CHEAP. 

Well Khao San Road is alive and kicking, but Mr. Thai Taxi said that tourism has been WAY down this year.  It didn't seem like it when I was walking in and out of places looking for a place to stay!  Plus it's not as much of a bargain as it used to be, with new hotels upping the ante and the smaller crappy places getting torn down for taller buildings with swimming pools.  I wandered for far too long and decided on a budget place (450Baht/$14) and was dismayed to find that it has A/C, but no hot water.  UGH!  But I was so happy to dump my stuff and go out and about for a bit.  First order of business, email and status update to tell everyone that I am still alive.  Then I got some fresh squeezed orange juice and walked around some more, and found some of my old haunts which brought a smile to my face.  But I didn't befriend anyone on Day 1, and I went to bed at 2am feeling tired and a bit lonely.

Things to do tomorrow:

1.  Find a better hotel.  This place is unacceptable, even by my standards!

2.  Figure out what to do before leaving for Hong Kong on Sunday.

3.  Book flight for Sunday... but Tammie hasn't confirmed dates with me yet!

4.  Buy a sturdy big bag so I don't have to keep using a shopping bag.

5.  Get a massage for my aching muscles!  Maybe a mani/pedi too!

About asami


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.